Messud falls short in creating unique story

Victoria Andreev, Staff Writer

A teenage girl changing as she ages, much to the dismay of the people around her. Sound familiar? “The Burning Girl” by Claire Messud is unfortunately one of these books that tries to take the character in a different direction but ends up with the same plot outline and theme as many other books.

The story follows two girls, Julia and Cassie, from a childhood into their high school years. The girls believe that they will be friends forever, but as they age Cassie blends in with a new group of friends and begins to spend the majority of her time going to parties, leaving Julia behind. The book follows their story as they learn lessons about everything around them.

The book is set up to be the story of friendship, at least until the main characters part ways in the first few chapters. The author’s use of overly detailed descriptions of the characters leads to the book lasting much longer than necessary. The beginning is written in unnecessary vivid detail and by the fifth or sixth chapter, it begins to drag on. The ending contains a few unimportant chapters that are filled with boring dialogue that people will be tempted to skip.

“The Burning Girl” is a book that someone would read and then put in right back unto the shelf without a second thought.