Mac Miller’s legacy: remember artists for their work, impact rather than pitting blame

Permission Pitchfork

Staff writer Steven Moffa shares his thoughts regarding the tragic circumstances of Mac Miller’s death.

Steven Moffa, Staff Writer

I was first introduced to Mac Miller’s music through his early albums Best Day Ever and Blue Slide Park. Miller’s early work was far from his best and 11 year-old me didn’t understand a good amount of the lyrics, but his sound was infectious. Throughout the years, Mac became extremely talented both lyrically musically and introduced me to other artists like Earl Sweatshirt and Tyler, the Creator. He could make uptempo party music and somber, introspective songs with lyrics that could make you contemplate your entire life, truly showcasing his versatility. When it came to music, whether it was writing or producing, Mac Miller was a genius. However, just like any creative genius, he had his own personal conflicts.

While on his 2012 Macadelic tour, Miller first began to sip ‘lean’, a cough syrup mixture, in an effort to combat the stress of tour life. He soon developed an addiction and lost control. He kicked his habit before his show, Mac Miller and the Most Dope Family, began filming. Friends later said that it was impressive that he was able to quit on his own, but ultimately it wouldn’t last long.

His substance abuse issues persisted up until meeting Ariana Grande, who was said to be a huge part of him maintaining his sobriety. Earlier this year, however, their relationship became toxic and they announced their split in May. After Miller was involved in a hit and run/DUI, his fans blamed it on Grande for leaving him at a vulnerable time. After his death, though, the criticism only multiplied, with fans blaming her for Miller’s alleged overdose.

The premise that Ariana Grande should have sacrificed her own time and happiness to ‘fix’ him is preposterous. While some Miller fans may point out that his 2016 studio album, The Divine Feminine, was about her, Grande gave far more to him in their relationship. For two years she did more than was ever expected of her by helping him achieve sobriety, and to put the weight of someone’s death on the shoulders of anyone, whether a public figure or not, is emotionally damaging and uncalled for in a time of grieving. The idea that a woman is responsible for the actions of a grown man is a sexist ideology ill-suited for our increasingly progressive society.

Instead of pointing fingers, we should celebrate Mac Miller. He was a talented, self taught musician, a brilliant lyricist, and outspoken politically. His music inspired others as it inspired me, providing the soundtrack to my time in middle school and high school. After news of his passing, countless respected members of the industry sent their condolences, from Kendrick Lamar to Earl Sweatshirt. Instead of letting him fade from our memories, we should enact change in his name. As family, classmates, and teammates, we all owe it to each other to be supportive and understanding. Mental illness and substance abuse go hand in hand. If someone you know struggles with either, take an active role to help them, and we can progress as a society so that no one has to feel alone in their struggles.

On September 7th, we lost a generational talent. He was someone who I could relate to, and I only wish that his music could have helped him the way it helped me. Farewell, Larry Fisherman, you will be missed.