Girls rugby: tougher than you since the 19th century

Rachael Berthiaume, Staff Writer

The sport of girls rugby has gained so much popularity in the world that the team has had to make cuts for the first time and is making their way to their next state championship.
Unlike most ARHS sports, the girls rugby team was formed less than a decade ago by former student Kelsey Bourdon, whose mother, Laurie Bourdon, is now coach of the team.
“As my daughters seemed interested I thought it was important that I started coaching. I wanted to teach young people about a sport I love,” Bourdon said.
The girls rugby team has gained so much popularity that the team might have to make cuts this year.
“Depending on numbers we might not have to. Safety is the number one reason; we found that last year with over 50 players it wasn’t the safest way to coach,” Bourdon said.
Safety is one part of rugby that can’t be fooled around with, and neither can the cold hard truth.
Rugby also is not for everybody.
“I think if you’re someone who doesn’t like a contact sport, it would be harder to get into,” junior rugby player Ali Klein said.
In the past few years more and more people have been showing a curiosity towards rugby.
“In 2016 rugby is going to be in the Olympics, so there is going to be more of an interest,” Bourdon said.
What began as a boys sport in England has exploded into something huge and interesting for girls athletics. In fact, at this time at ARHS rugby might just be more popular among the girls than it is the boys, even though the sport for both genders is practically the same.
“Boys rugby is more high passed and aggressive, but the skill level is the same. Boys play rougher but it’s always like that when you compare boys vs. girls sports,” senior captain, Olivia Giorlandino said.
But that doesn’t mean all girl rugby players are built like boys and growl at each other on the playing field.
“Everyone can play rugby because there are different positions based on people’s strength, skill set and body type,” junior rugby player Kaitlynn Kuria said.
Last season the team made it to the state championships, and is intending to make it there again.