Years of dedication, hard work lead Luippold to new position

Photo Connor Lawless

Alissa Luippold happily works with sophomore Michael McWilliams.

Abby Dugan and Katherine Yang

New special education teacher Alissa Luippold has had a long and successful journey as an Algonquin student, secretary, aide and now teacher.

Luippold is an Algonquin graduate and got her bachelor’s degree from Worcester State. She began working as an aide in the Special Education program at ARHS in 2008 and began her master’s program at American International College in 2015.

As she worked full time, Luippold studied tirelessly to achieve her goal of becoming a teacher in the district.

“It took me three years to get my master’s degree because I needed to pass the teachers tests, five of them actually,” Luippold said.

Luippold feels the process was very stressful as she had to balance family, friends, schooling, and work.

“I went through [American International College]  extended campus program, so I was taking accelerated courses and every two months I would finish a course,” Luippold said. “I was raising a child on my own, and then working a full time job… and then on top of that going to school.”

However, the increased responsibility brings rewards.

“[The reason I went into this position] is to find those areas that [my students] might be struggling in and to be able to find what accommodations or modifications might work for them to make sure that they are able to succeed…” Luippold said.  

Luippold worked as an aide for special education teacher Caroline Flynn who has been there for much of Luippold’s journey of becoming a special education teacher.

“Nothing is worth more than having the 12 years of experience she has [had] working to learn the process of IEP writing and how to work with students, teachers and parents,” Flynn said. “It’s a very long process, but I think all the experience she has will enable her to be a very good special ed teacher.”

“What I admire about her is she always has a positive attitude,” Flynn said. “She also has a certain type of honesty with the students, which in special ed, it’s very hard to be honest.  She has a good way of rewording things so the student can find success.”