Giroux joyfully jumps into new position after Calnan’s switch to tech

Photo Connor Lawless

Selena Giroux begins a full-time job in the math department.

Panayiotia Navas, Staff Writer

New math teacher Selena Giroux is enjoying her new job, as it is a dream come true for her.

“I always wanted to be a teacher so it’s nice to finally have that happen at such a good school,” Giroux said.

The teaching profession also runs in her family.

“My mother was a teacher, so it inspired me [to become one],”  Giroux said.

A recent college graduate, she was a student teacher four times while getting her degree, including her last placement at North Newton High School. Giroux most recently worked as a substitute teacher at Algonquin until she assumed her new position in early April.

“I feel like it was meant to be; [I was] at the right place at the right time,” Giroux said.

Giroux said it took her a long time to figure out what age group she wanted to teach. She decided to teach high school after realizing the impact of her own teachers during high school because she wanted to make the greatest difference in her students’ lives.

As Instructional Technology Specialist Brian Calnan prepared for his new position, he was able to work with Giroux as she took over his classes.

“It was nice [for] the school to give us a few days together,” Calnan said. “She caught on really quickly because she knew what to do.”  

She is currently teaching Algebra II, Integrated Math II, and an Advanced Functions course in H315.

Giroux likes her students so far and has enjoyed getting to know them.

[My students] are all unique and bring something different into my classroom,” Giroux said.

She has faced some challenges as a full-time graduate student at Boston College while being a full-time teacher.

“It seems like there isn’t enough time in the day,” Giroux said.

For now, her future seems bright and promising. Giroux will be teaching Calnan’s classes until the end of the school year.