Q&A: Swim team captain reflects on season, team dynamic

Senior captain Sofie Hopkins looks back on leading the 2017-18 swim team along with senior Annie Lindgren

Courtesy Jeff Slovin

Senior captains Sofie Hopkins [above] and Annie Lindgren reflect on the swim team’s overall season.

Maiya Ellis, Staff Writer

Overall, how has the swim team done this season?

“We’ve done very well. We were undefeated until we went against Westborough and then we lost by two points. We also won Leagues.”

What are Leagues?

“Leagues is against all the teams you went against in the regular season. Leagues is technically post season, so you have to qualify for it… You have to get a certain time [in your events to qualify]. The times get harder as you go on.”

What has been the team’s biggest achievement this season?

“I have to say winning Leagues because all the other years I’ve been on the team, we’ve always come in second place against Tyngsborough, but this year we beat them. We won by [about] fifty points.”

What was the team’s biggest challenge?

“Probably coming together as a team and not being separated into grades. The freshmen were often left out from the rest of the team and it was a struggle getting them to be included.”

What was the most important part as your role as captain?

“Bringing the team together.”

What are some goals for the next swim season?

“Stay together as a team. I feel like we did better in meets when we cheered for each other. My freshman year we always cheered. It was very spirited and we were undefeated the whole season.”