Students show talent in ‘Legally Blonde’

Students+came+together+on++November+30%2C+December+1+and+2+and+put+on+a+spectacular+show+for+their+audience.+

Photo Will Koziel

Students came together on November 30, December 1 and 2 and put on a spectacular show for their audience.

Abbie Davison, Staff Writer

Algonquin’s fall musical, “Legally Blonde,” drew a big crowd with its trained dog, large cast, and student orchestra with performances on November 30, December 1 and December 2.

With a cast of about 50 actors, Elle Woods’ college journey is told through lead roles Christina DiMare (Elle Woods) and Connor Macchi (Emmett).

“[‘Legally Blonde’ is] about this girl, Elle Woods, who was engaged and the engagement was broken off. She follows her love to Harvard and no one thinks she can get in because she’s supposedly a dumb blonde, but proves them wrong and gets into Harvard,” junior Alyssa Mawson said.

Mawson portrays the role of Kate, the responsible Delta Nu sorority sister who follows Elle around wherever she goes.

Junior Annalise Loizeaux acts alongside Mawson, acting as the role of Brooke Wyndham.

“[Brooke is the fitness instructor,] being put on trial because [everyone] thinks that I killed my husband. Elle is the lawyer who kind of saved me,” Loizeaux said.

Both Mawson and Loizeaux were both eager for the performance date, after all the long rehearsals since September.

“We have been working really hard and pulling through. I think it’s going to be a great show,” Loizeaux said.

Not only were the actors excited for the performance, but many other students who were involved behind the scenes were able to showcase different talents.

Junior Sophia Walker was part of both costume and set designing. Walker designs costumes on paper and then gets to transform them into real life, using different elements of design.

“I spent about a week [or two] making prototypes, I kind of did it on my own time,” Walker said. “[I enjoy it because it’s] taking your concept and making it real.”

Overall, Walker believes that all the time spent designing has been worth it.

“It’s been really rewarding, just meeting new friends, kind of branching out,” Walker said.

Another aspect of the musical that allows students to showcase different talents is the all-student orchestra. Junior Liliko Uchida is part of the percussion section, who played throughout the performance.

“I am part of the percussion section, which means I play all the auxiliary stuff. All mallet percussion, tambourine, slapstick…” Uchida said.

After a busy tech week, being able to watch all the music come together, the orchestra felt prepared for the performance they were previously uncertain about.

“We thought it was going to be a stretch, but I think we are going to be able to make it in time,” Uchida said.

‘Legally Blonde’ sure gave their audience an enjoyable evening.

“[We] are so excited, it’s going to be awesome,” Mawson said.