McDonald excited to join school administration

McDonald+%28left%29+shows+his+school+spirit+and+is+excited++for+a+great+year+to+come.+

Photo Rebecca Poretsky

McDonald (left) shows his school spirit and is excited for a great year to come.

Camerin Gallagher, Staff Writer

New Assistant Principal Tim McDonald already feels welcome in Algonquin’s environment and is encouraged by how well he has been received by the school’s community.

“I’m kind of surprised by how well I seem to fit in here and how welcoming everyone’s been; it was a pleasant surprise,” McDonald said. “Everyone’s been really nice.”

McDonald, who is beginning his first year as assistant principal and is assigned specifically to the freshman class, says he has already seen many of Algonquin’s great attributes.

“There’s a great spirit and pride in Algonquin and in the kids here, and in being T-hawks,” McDonald said. “It’s great to see that so many kids are participating in so many different activities. There’s a lot of different opportunities here, and that’s been one of [the] greatest things. It’s a very well-rounded culture.”

McDonald considers himself a well-rounded individual, who enjoys being a father of three and spending time with his family, as well as playing guitar and hockey regularly.

“My kids participate in a lot of things, and so I’m always a spectator at their events; as a parent, it’s one of my favorite things to do,” McDonald said.

McDonald has a diverse background as well, and although he comes to Algonquin from Weymouth schools, he was not always on the path to work in education.

“In college, I really enjoyed working with kids, although that wasn’t the track I was on at the time; I was getting a business degree,” McDonald said. “After working in business for four or five years, I then finally got into education. I taught math for ten years and then first became an administrator four years ago.”

Senior Nate Anderson, who volunteered under McDonald at Algonquin’s open house, is among those encouraged by his arrival.

“He seems like a really nice guy, like someone who will take pride in the school and be involved with the school,” Anderson said.

McDonald spoke with a smile and explained his genuine excitement in what the rest of the year has in store.

“I hope to support the school in continuing to be an excellent place for students; I’m excited for all the new experiences,” McDonald said.