Senior Reflection: High, low notes influence Chloe Bernier through music department

Senior+Chloe+Bernier+leads+her+a+cappella+group%2C+Ladies+First%2C+in+their+rendition+of+Black+Horse+and+a+Cherry+Tree+by+KT+Tundtall+at+Acapocalypse+on+March+13.+

Photo Rafaela Coelho

Senior Chloe Bernier leads her a cappella group, Ladies First, in their rendition of “Black Horse and a Cherry Tree” by KT Tundtall at Acapocalypse on March 13.

Chloe Bernier, Staff Writer

Before I even stepped foot into high school, I was a quitter. Within the first week of freshman year I almost quit the thing I love most; if you didn’t also consider dropping out of chorus at one time or another, you are a rare breed. The realization that I was going to have to read music, do choreographed dances, and sit with the correct posture in what I thought would be my “easy A” class was a total wake-up call. This wasn’t what I signed up for.

Like many other of my fellow band-mates, I quit playing my instrument before freshman year in order to avoid the dreaded marching band (and their silly outfits, which thankfully have been changed). However, I have since longed to be back in the pit playing my trumpet in concert black with the jazz band.

Looking back I realize that my successes and failures within the music department have given me thicker skin and an ability to handle rejection.

— Chloe Bernier

Sophomore year, wanting to get back to being in a smaller musical group like my jazz band, I auditioned for “Ladies First,” the all-girls’ a capella group that in my eyes resembled musically-gifted angels. I prepared a song for the audition and sang my little heart out, but to no avail. “She thinks she’s Beyonce,” was the humbling feedback I received through the grape-vine that has haunted me ever since.

I did end up making it in my junior year though, and I made some really great friends along the way. Of course the assumption about all-girls’ groups is that they’re catty, but this group defies stereotypes. Seldom in my high-school experience have I been exposed to such wonderful people.

Also, despite the rough start, I’ve had positive experience with each teacher in the music department: Mrs. Collins, Mr. Vincent, and Mrs. Waters. You might not have heard of them if you’ve never wandered down the A hallway, but they’ve had a great impact on me. From them, I’ve learned more than I ever knew was possible to know about music theory. By now I understand the importance of good posture and how much seemingly silly dance moves can add to a performance.

Looking back I realize that my successes and failures within the music department have given me thicker skin and an ability to handle rejection. Looking forward, I hope I can remember how quitting, trying, and eventually finding my place has shaped the person who I am today. Trying new things is an easily forgotten idea that can and will benefit us all as we venture into the great unknown.