Toronto celebrates CAP graduation, looks forward to future

CAP+graduate+Leah+Toronto+worked+with+the+program+for+three+years+after+her+graduation+from+Algonquin.+Now+that+she+has+made+the+transition%2C+she+is+excited+to+work+in+her+community.+

Courtesy Monique Cloutier

CAP graduate Leah Toronto worked with the program for three years after her graduation from Algonquin. Now that she has made the transition, she is excited to work in her community.

Carey Davis, Online Editor

Leah Toronto celebrated her graduation from the Community Access Program (CAP) with friends, family, and faculty on April 13.

Toronto entered CAP after her graduation from Algonquin, and has been in the program for three years. She looks forward to her involvement in the community, including an internship at TJ Maxx and working Lowe’s Meat Market and the Marion E. Zeh School.

“I’m looking forward to going to work, and being out in the community more,” Toronto said.

“I think Leah is going to do very well because she knows what she wants,” CAP teacher Caitlin Hynes said. “She’s very good at advocating for what she needs and what she wants.”

CAP supports special education students with transitional assistance after they graduate to help them learn skills for future endeavors.

“It’s all about working and connecting with the community, and really understanding your interests, strengths, weaknesses,” transition coordinator Monique Cloutier said.

“One of my favorite things about CAP was getting to know Ms. Cloutier,” Toronto said. “She is an amazing teacher, I love her so much.”

“Leah’s an amazing person,” Cloutier said.