VSCO encourages expression

App provides outlet for risky photos

Julia Guay, Staff Writer

Scroll through your feed and what do you see? Puffs of smoke, people drinking, cute text conversations, half-naked bodies, and photographs of the crazy late night adventures. VSCO is a place where people feel comfortable displaying the scandalous pictures hidden in the depths of their camera roll.

VSCO Cam began as an application used to edit photographs for other social media platforms, but has now developed into a place for young adults to share and display their risky photographs that they would never post elsewhere.

“People on VSCO post of what’s going on in their life,” sophomore Elaine Cho said. “It’s becoming more popular. It’s a more creative platform and people like that.”

Some believe that posts are more edgy than Instagram because VSCO is less monitored.

“More scandalous photos of drugs and alcohol, as well as interesting photos of themselves, are posted on VSCO, while on Instagram more parents follow [their children’s accounts],” senior Drew Laurence said.

I like VSCO because it is a more casual place where you can share the pictures that you like.

— Sophomore Elaine Cho

Students should be cautious of what is posted on their accounts, as VSCO is a public social media platform that anyone can see simply with the link to the page or a username.

“The cons of it is that other people could see your posts and it could affect a job or what colleges you get into,” junior Paige Hoang said.

However, many users believe it is still a useful platform for young adults to edit, post, and repost the scandalous pictures that everyone loves to see.

“It’s a more open place to post stuff that maybe you don’t want to post on other social media like Instagram,” Cho said. “I like VSCO because it is a more casual place where you can share the pictures that you like.”

VSCO is often a place where people praise and repost others for having enough confidence to publicly share the revealing pictures of their body, and what they actually did last Saturday night.

“Posting pictures of your body is a way to express yourself and it helps body positivity,” Hoang said. “If you feel good about yourself then you should embrace it.”

The causal aspect of the application is something that most users take comfort in.

“There are no likes or comments,” Cho said. “People feel like they can post whatever they want without feeling the pressures of other social media.”

Though the posts should continue as a way of self expression, caution should also be taken and the thought of who could possible see the post should remain active in one’s mind.

“If you post something [risky] you need to expect the judgement or backlash but ultimately it’s up to you and it’s your life,” Hoang said, “your VSCO is your VSCO and it’s supposed to represent your life and what’s meaningful to you.”