Boys’ basketball shoots for success, camaraderie

Senior+Kyle+Henderson+breaks+away+with+the+ball+and+sprints+up+court.+

Courtesy Jeff Slovin

Senior Kyle Henderson breaks away with the ball and sprints up court.

Drew Despres, Staff Writer

The boys’ basketball team has enjoyed a thrilling season filled with excitement and incredible fan support, contributing to their overall record of 8-6.

The team has grown a lot throughout the season, and many of the players believe that their games against Marlborough on December 29 and Shrewsbury on January 20 were important milestones for the squad.

“I think both those wins, being as tough as they were, really brought the team together and raised our focus,” senior captain Nick Casapulla said. “Those wins showed us that we can beat anyone in the state.”

Coach Brian Doherty shared his sentiment that through hard work, the team can truly compete against anyone.

“Honestly, our biggest competitor this season will be ourselves,” Doherty said. “If every player commits to doing their job and comes to play all out every practice and game, it doesn’t matter who we play.”

According to coaches and captains, this group of players has more talent than their record suggests. They say the team has the heart of a champion and will never give up in spite of adversity.

“Our team has a lot of chemistry, everyone on the team likes each other and we’re all friends,” senior forward Adam Genga said. “We just enjoy playing with each other which will hopefully contribute to success through the rest of the season.”

Courtesy Jeff Slovin
Sophomore Brian Duffy lays up for a shot in a game against Wachusett.

The Tomahawks will have to continue to battle in order to make the playoffs to avoid a repeat of last season, when the team fell just short of continuing on to the tournament.

“This season has been real special,” Casapulla said. “Last year was kind of a disappointment because we came up one win short of the playoffs. This year I think we have a real shot of making a run in the postseason.”

Come see the Tomahawks fight for a win against Wachusett on February 10.

We are going to be a fun team to watch!” Doherty said.