Exchanging cultures, ideas

German students exchange, engage in American culture

Photo Ryan Strobel

Junior Chloe Sainsbury takes a break during class and laughs with her exchange student Sarah Kohlstedde.

Shannon Youngberg and Alex Martin

Six German exchange students and two teachers arrived at Algonquin from Dortmund, Germany ready to experience an unfamiliar culture and establish lasting relationships on October 7.

Twenty students traveled from Dortmund to Massachusetts, but only a portion of them are staying with Algonquin students. The remaining students from Germany are staying with students from Mendon, Nipmuc, Blackstone Valley Tech, and Grafton schools.

According to hosts junior Chloe Sainsbury and senior Sierra Dyer, they try to provide their exchange students with an authentic glance into American life by engaging them in their daily activities.

“We do everything together, like I drive her to school, and when I hang out with friends she hangs out with me,” Sainsbury said. “If I have volleyball practice she’ll come sometimes, and she goes to my games. Basically whatever I do, she does.”

“We just do little things around here, and I show [exchange student Julia Stanoek] what my life is like,” Dyer said. “We just do some fun stuff, nothing too crazy, but just hanging out with friends.”

“Because my brother went off to college, I thought it would be cool to have a sister, and know people from other cultures,” Dyer said.

The exchange students emphasized how different American life is from what they experience at home.

“[The relationship] between students and teachers, there is no distance,” exchange student Julia Stanosek said. “It’s not like back in Germany.”

According to exchange student Sarah Kohlstedde, the school days in Germany are nothing like a typical one in America.

“On Wednesday I have school until 6:30 [at night], but then another day I have only 3 lessons from 9:35 [in the morning] to 12:00 [in the afternoon],” Kohlstedde said.

Although the students from Dortmund will be leaving on October 28, some students plan to continue their contact long after the goodbyes are said.

According to Dyer, she intends to visit Stanosek in Germany during the gap year she will be taking after graduation.

Dyer’s desire to visit Stanosek can be credited to wanting to maintain the relationship she and Dyer formed after spending so much time together.

“We became really close over the past two weeks and she’s one of my best friends now,” Dyer said. “We’re like sisters. It’s been really great, and I feel like it will last for a long time.”

Though students initially decided to host for various reasons, they all are linked by the common goal to try something new.