Coach Larareo has positive impact on girls’ lax

Emily Smith, Staff Writer

New girls’ varsity lacrosse coach Vanessa Larareo has big aspirations for the team this season and in the years to come after seeing the team dynamics in their first few games.

After losing to Bromfield 8-7 in a thrilling season opener, the team bounced back quickly, defeating Notre Dame Academy 17-4 on April 8.

Larareo was inspired by the group’s perseverance and is excited for the rest of the season.

“Coming out the way we did, scoring seven goals and only losing by one to a team like that was really positive in our first game of the season,” Larareo said.

“I think everyone was just frantic and more worried about the score than just playing lacrosse, but as soon as we just played everything seemed to fall into place, and hopefully we can continue in a positive direction,” senior captain Juliet Chapin said.

Many of the players’ initial fears of the unknown with a new coach faded as they formed a bond with Larareo.

“With a new coach coming into the season, a lot of people were skeptical of how the chemistry would be,” junior Krista Leach said. “But now we have a really strong team with an incredible coach.”

“There is a lot of energy on the team and most of that comes from our coach,” junior Kelley Morin said.

“She is really invested in building the team.”

Larareo’s relationship with the team has grown stronger every day.

“They’re great girls, they’re really fun and I get along with them really well,” Larareo said. “They all work hard and are really competitive.”

Larareo feels that the leadership on the team from senior captains Peri D’Amico, Annie Campbell, and Chapin has been helpful in the new process.

“Our three senior captains really help lead the team,” Larareo said. “I kinda rely on them as much as they rely on me.”

The team looks forward to building on their young roster in years to come. There are fourteen new varsity players in total, including four freshmen.

“[Larareo] is really passionate about lacrosse and developing the program,” junior Grace Antino said. “I think not only this year, but the next few years will be really exciting.”

“We are really excited to have Coach Larareo as a part of the program, and we’re looking forward to an exciting lacrosse season,” Athletic Director Karrah Ellis said.

The team aspires to reach new heights during the playoffs.

“This season we want to make it to the playoffs and go as far as we can,” Chapin said.