Luiso leaps and leads gymnasts to success

With+a+bid+for+the+National+Gymnastics+Senior+Showcase+in+Ft.+Meyers%2C+Florida%2C+senior+Kerry+Luiso+competed+against+Hudson+on+January+6.+

Permission Jeff Slovin

With a bid for the National Gymnastics Senior Showcase in Ft. Meyers, Florida, senior Kerry Luiso competed against Hudson on January 6.

Lily Scearbo, Staff Writer

The gymnastics team had a successful season this year, finishing 8-2 with the help of one of their all-around competitors, Kerry Luiso.

This was Luiso’s first season on the school gymnastics team and because of her great success she was recently chosen to represent Massachusetts in the National High School Gymnastics Association’s Senior Showcase in Ft. Meyers Beach, Florida.

Luiso has been participating in club gymnastics since she was three, but in recent years the sport became negative for her, which prompted her to move from club to the high school team.

“I did club all my life and I had some really mean coaches along the way who kind of made me hate gymnastics,” Luiso said.

Luiso still continued with her gymnastics because of her desire to compete as a college gymnast.

“I hated going, but the only reason I kept doing it was because I wanted to do Division One in college,” Luiso said.

Luiso had an offer to be on the gymnastics team at University of Pittsburgh and even though it would have fulfilled her dream, she contemplated whether or not it was a good idea for her to continue in this sport due to past injuries.

“Do I really want to do this?” Luiso said. “I don’t think my back can handle another five years in this sport.”

Ultimately, Luiso decided to quit club gymnastics and join the high school team, which makes her ineligible to do Division 1 gymnastics in college. This is because college gymnastics recruiters know that club gymnasts are receiving the best coaching and conditioning and therefore give the most consideration to those gymnasts.

“The high school team was way different than club because high school is about the team and doing well for the team rather than doing well for yourself,” Luiso said.

Luiso enjoyed being part of the Algonquin team because all of her teammates were supportive.

“I loved it,” Luiso said. “I loved the encouragement and people knowing that you actually did something [gymnastics] for the school… no one ever knew because I was in club.”

Luiso also made tremendous contributions to the team by competing and receiving high scores in every event. Specifically, in the sectional meet, Luiso placed second with an all around score of 37.625. She was the top scorer for Algonquin and helped her team to receive tenth place team, which did not qualify them to compete in states.

“Not only did Kerry help us with our scores every meet, but she showed us the importance of loving a sport and working hard,” senior captain Sarah Baptiste said.

Now, Luiso is training at her old gym in preparation for the national meet on May 20 and 21.

“I have to go to my old club and find times I can practice because I have to keep up my skills,” Luiso said.

Although the transition from club to high school was difficult for Luiso, she believes it was beneficial to both the mental and physical aspects of her competitions.

“I just wanted to have fun my senior year because I knew everyone would be supporting me,” Luiso said.