Dress code conflict

Paige O’Leary, Staff Writer

With 2014’s new trend of crop tops and revealing shorts came a stricter dress code which caused frustration within the student body.

The revised dress code in the school handbook states, “Any style of dress that is considered disruptive to school activities is prohibited. Parents are responsible for discussing with their children the kind and type of clothing that is considered appropriate to wear in a school setting. Clothing that is too revealing (e.g., clothing that exposes underpants, the midriff, and cleavage) is inappropriate in a school setting. Students will use good judgment regarding appropriate attire in school.”

Principal Tom Mead explained that a revised and more enforced dress code is an attempt to “try to prepare our students to go into the big world.”

“I think part of it is that we have to strike a balance with freedom of dress,” Mead said.

Many tend to forget that the dress code does not only apply to revealing clothing, but protective wear for labs and physical education classes.

“It’s being enforced a little bit more frequently and it’s being mentioned at school meetings because we want students to be aware of it,” Mead said.

According to Mead, renewing the dress code and making kids more aware of it will help people know what and what not to wear.

“It’s not just the cut of the clothes, it’s the words on the clothes. We need to take action to remove that distraction,” Mead said.

SheHawk member senior Vikki Elliott views the dress code from her perspective and also a teacher’s perspective.

“The dress code makes it more comfortable for teachers; it’s uncomfortable for them to walk up the stairs and see uncomfortable things,” Elliott said. “I like [the dress code]; I’m for it.”

At different high schools, the dress code specifically states the length of what shorts and skirts have to be.

“I’ve been at schools before where skirts and shorts need to be where your finger tips are against your legs,” math teacher Amanda Cence said. “With girls, there are more chances for their clothing to be inappropriate.”

“I don’t think the problem is the distractions. I think the reasoning is unfair. It shouldn’t be my fault if a guy is distracted, it should be his,” Elliott said.

Freshman Ava Aguilar enjoys the freedom of Algonquin’s dress code.

“I prefer the high school dress code because its more freedom than middle school, and there are people wearing all different styles, it’s not that restricted,” Aguilar said.

On the other hand, many students think that the dress code is unfair.

“I do think it is unfair, I do feel for them, but what changes can be made with boys? I do not think what they wear is distracting. I think girls should be free to express themselves. It’s causing unnecessary conflict,” senior Joe Egizi said.

While others take the dress code seriously, some look at it in a more comical way.

“It’s always nice to get your adrenaline going in class to boost your academic performance,” senior Tyler Hatton said, joking about distractions within the classroom.