Senior Reflection: An Open Letter To Mom And Dad

Submitted Madison Scott

Submitted Madison Scott

Madison Scott, Staff Writer

Dear Mom and Dad,

The time has come. I am graduating high school and starting a new chapter of my life. I am moving on to make new strides into adulthood, leaving behind the precious times of childhood. But before I go off, I would like to thank you.

Thank you for raising me into the young woman that I have become today. For the past 18 years, you both stuck by my side day in and day out. Through my every challenge and every triumph, every failure and every success, you have been there. And every time the world walked out on me, you two have always walked in.

Thank you for the countless morals you taught me. You both have led by example, serving as my biggest heroes to which I aspire. Thank you for teaching me to always extend empathy towards others, because you never really know what people are going through. To forgive quickly because life is too short to hold grudges. And to love others unconditionally because as human beings that is what we were designed to do. The morals that the two of you have engraved in me are morals that I strive to practice every day in hopes of being like you, two of the best people I know.

Thank you for teaching me to be myself and nobody but myself. You taught me to love each and every part of myself; and to not only accept my flaws but celebrate them. You two have brought me up to go from a shy, insecure girl to a confident young woman ready to take on the world.

I’m well aware of all of the challenges the real world has to offer me in the near future. However, I also know that there is no obstacle that I cannot overcome. I have you to thank for that. You both have conditioned me to be strong enough to conquer any battle that comes my way. Every time I have fallen, you were the first to pick me up and tell me to try, try, and try again. When nobody believed in me, even when I didn’t believe in myself, you did.

That is something I cannot thank you enough for.

As I spread my wings and fly, there are just a few things I would like you to keep in mind. First off, don’t worry about me. Yes, I will inevitably make mistakes. I will struggle at times. But that doesn’t matter. Being the daughter of two of the strongest people to ever walk the face of this Earth, I will be quite alright. Second, yes things will change, but I know one thing for sure will not change: me. I will always be your little girl. I will always be quirky and a little silly at times. And I will always love you guys more than words can ever describe. And third, thank you. I couldn’t have done it without you two.

Love, Madison Scott