New radio station debuts

Students work to upload programs to the new radio station, WARHS.

Submitted Julie Doyle

Ben Weber, Staff Writer

WARHS, the newly created Algonquin radio station, began broadcasting live and pre-recorded shows from the new radio studio in the A100 hallway last month.

Instructional technology teacher Julie Doyle is helping to organize the radio station alongside Latin teacher Shawn Staines.

“It’s off to a good start,” Doyle said. “I’m looking forward to its continued growth.”

Programming takes place Monday through Friday from 11am-5pm, with many interesting shows throughout the week. Some of these shows include: Welty Into the Weekend, Life Lessons, The Big Show, Word Problems, Algonquin Artists, Gayrhs, Algonquin Musicians, Julia James Music, AP Gov Podcasts, DJ KJ’s Live Third Lunch Show, Evan Mowry’s Live Show, and others.

“In the recording room, often we try to record at least ten minutes of audio about politics, or whatever general discussion we have,” sophomore Brahm VanAntwerp, co-host of The Big Show, said.

Submitted Julie Doyle
Junior Kevin Jacobson enthusiastically records his show.

VanAntwerp co-hosts The Big Show with his friends Nick Giurleo and Alex Trevino.

“ARHS radio is really fun, it’s not like a huge amount of time, and it helps you increase your ability to really communicate what you want to say,” VanAntwerp said.

Doyle shares VanAntwerp’s enthusiasm towards the radio station and wants it to continue to grow and improve in the future.

“Eventually this is something I want to be completely student run,” Doyle said.

The current station manager, junior Will Koziel, is taking an independent study with Doyle to work on the radio station, putting a lot of his time into further developing WARHS.

“It’s exciting to see it grow because we started from nothing, we never had a radio station before, and now we do. More people are listening and it just keeps growing every day,” Koziel said.

Doyle encourages everyone to join WARHS, whether they want to do a show or just help out behind the scenes.

“I think there’s a ton of great opportunities whether or not you want to do a live show, or just get involved in the marketing, or the running of the show,” Doyle said.

To get in contact with WARHS, email [email protected], or talk to Mrs. Doyle in room D104. You can listen to WARHS though the Algonquin website home page link, or visit WARHS.airtime.pro to see the full lineup of shows and listen to what’s currently being broadcasted.