Habitat for Humanity connects community with service

Submitted Natalie Bourque

Habitat for Humanity club members helped to build and remodel a house in Northborough on March 25.

Larissa Andrade, Staff Writer

Habitat for Humanity, a new club started by sophomores Tyler Potter and Natalie Bourque, puts its main focus and interest in helping those in need around the local community by building homes.

“Tyler [Potter] and I were researching other ways to get involved in the community and Habitat for Humanity came up,” Bourque said. “We joined the town meetings to build the site in Northborough and then we were thinking, ‘why don’t we start at Algonquin to get the youth involved?”’

“The purpose of Habitat for Humanity is mainly just to get kids out there and see the world,” Potter said. “We’re really helping these families get their feet back on the ground.”

Habitat for Humanity not only builds houses for those in need, it also builds up aspiration and opportunity for affordable places that every family deserves to live in.

“We’re not just handing [the families] houses,” Potter said. “They have to help out and spend 120 hours on the worksite building it with us.”

As the club grows, Bourque and Potter hope to create a successful platform that helps the community.

“[Our goal is to] just help people out, give them a good place to live, and have a good time while doing it,” Bourque said.

Although Habitat’s main goal is to build homes, they also want to get more kids involved in helping out and giving back to the community.

“We really want to start doing bigger fundraisers like a dance-a-thon,” said Bourque. “We just want to get out there as one of the bigger clubs at Algonquin. There’s so much that we can do and there’s so many resources that we have.”

The club meets every other Thursday in English teacher Jen Zuba’s room, H207, after school, and they are hoping to attract more students to join.