Carnival filled with fun, laughter, goodbyes to seniors

submitted Maria Tu

Sophomores Claire Duffy and Maria Tu interact with goats at the Health Occupations Students of America animal petting booth at Carnival.

Kate Massucco, Staff Writer

Carnival opened to students and faculty on Friday May 20 and featured activities, food, and free time for everyone on campus.

The outdoor event began after the senior class lip-sync, during period 4 and students could choose to participate in a range of activities.

This year a petting zoo featuring goats and snakes, as well as a number of new club activities were added to Carnival.

The day was structured and planned by the Student Council. Senior Class President Natalie Finn worked with Student Council to make the day one that all students would enjoy.

“It’s actually a lot of work. We definitely work on it our entire year because there’s a lot of calling people, and working with [main office secretary] Ms. Capalbo to get the budget down,” Finn said.

It’s something I’ve gone to every year, so it was nice to be together with the class one more time before we finish school.”

— Senior Dan Fier

Each year, Carnival takes a huge amount of planning especially for the people who physically set up the entire event. Custodian John Souza has been involved in creating Carnival for the past nine years.

“We start a few days before planning and setting up. I was in here from seven o’clock in the morning to six at night to finish everything on Friday,” Souza said.

Students could buy food from faculty and staff who worked the grill to cook the burgers and hot-dogs that are traditional for Carnival.

This year a few things were tweaked and changed and there were also some new additions.

“There’s going to be dodgeball, flag football, and a lot of the typical events,” senior class Representative Sara Travis said. “There’s a lot more club activities going on so clubs are participating more. Also the Olympiad was cancelled for this year, and we also cancelled the dunk tank.”

For many seniors, Carnival was an opportunity to wind down with teachers and peers at the end of their year.

“It’s something I’ve gone to every year, so it was nice to be together with the class one more time before we finish school,” senior Dan Fier said.

The day served as a fun break from school for the faculty and student body, as well as a time to hangout with friends and staff.

“I was excited to get my yearbook and just chill outside and have an opportunity to get people to sign my yearbook,” Fier said. “There’s nice music and there’s always a barbecue and it’s just a very fun day.”