Boys’ indoor track captures league title

permission Nick Hong

After winning the boys’ indoor track Midland-Wachusett A league title, seniors pose with their medals on Saturday January 30 at Fitchburg High School.

Annie Campbell, Sports Editor

With three first place finishes, the boys’ indoor track team raced to the Midland-Wachusett A title for the first time since 2012.

Senior captain Michael McCormack lead the team with two first place victories. McCormack won both the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.93 seconds and the 55 meter hurdles with a time of 8.16 seconds.

“It was very exciting and it surprised me and the coaches that I was able to win the dash right after the hurdles,” McCormack said. “Coach B [Andrew Boschetto] was thrilled because he’d never had anyone win both events before, so I was really happy to make him and Coach Morin proud.”

Senior Jacob Gore won the high jump leaping to a height of 5 feet 10 inches.

The team came in second place to Shrewsbury at the league meet on Saturday, January 30 at Fitchburg High School. However, the Mid Wach A title is awarded to the team with the most total points and because the boys went undefeated during the regular season, they only needed to place second at the league meet in order to take home the gold medal.  

“It [winning] was pretty exciting,” senior captain Matt Burmeister said. “The last time the boys’ track team won the league was in 2012, the year before we were freshmen. People always think, ‘Oh, it’s just track. You run once and you sit around bored for the remaining three hours of the meet.’ This season has really been the opposite. We were kind of the underdogs in the league this year, but we have really come together as a team and raised our expectations of one another and it’s been really exciting.”

Senior Max Michaud came in second in the high jump with a height of 5 feet 8 inches and also placed second in the mile and the 1,000 meter races.

Qualifying athletes will compete in the district and state meets over the next couple of weeks.

“Moving forward we are simply going to do what we do best, work hard,” senior captain Tim Lellman said. “In the next couple of weeks we’ll be at practice everyday training for the upcoming meets so we can perform to our best ability.”