Boys’ basketball beams with new chemistry

Senior+Gavin+Boyden+%28%232%29+goes+for+a+layup+against+North+Middlesex+on+January+12.+

Photo Kelly Slovin

Senior Gavin Boyden (#2) goes for a layup against North Middlesex on January 12.

Christian Jacobson, Staff Writer

The boys’ basketball team has achieved a level of team chemistry unseen in previous years with a record of 4-5.

This year’s team developed instant connections with one another from the start of the season demonstrated through their recent MIAA community service award.

“Last year, the team was nearly as close at the end of the season as the team is now, only a few weeks into the season,” senior captain Gavin Boyden said.

According to senior captain Kaio Menezes, the change in team chemistry is due to players’ mindsets. The team is playing as a whole to win games.

“Last year’s team had a completely different dynamic than this year’s. For instance last year, players were trying to get stats and this year we all just want to win,” Menezes said.

According to senior captain Matt Geoffrion, the underclassmen (sophomores Brett Casellini, Kyle Henderson, and Dylan Lien) are treated equally and seen by the upperclassmen as just another addition to the team. `

“The sophomores have been a great addition to the team. All three of them are extremely talented and will help the team in a positive way,” Geoffrion said.

“The seniors have incorporated us onto the team by always having our backs whether it’s on or off the court,” Lien said.

This year’s captains said that the offseason has fostered better attitudes between players, many of them have been playing together for years.

“I have been playing with these kids my whole life. We have always been competitive, but this year we put in a lot more work in the offseason and I am sure it will show at the end of the season,” Menezes said.

“Everyone on this team is playing to win and wants to do what is best for the team as opposed to last year where selfishness took over in many cases,” Boyden said.