What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Q&A: Boys’ volleyball captain shares improvement, camaraderie

Laura White
Sophomore Gavin Butterfield (1) fights for the ball against a Millis player at their winning, 3-1 game on April 23.

The boys’ volleyball team ended the regular season with a record of 4-12. Junior captain Erik Hewardt reflects on the team’s performance throughout the season.

How did the season go overall?

“It was a rough season for us, but we definitely improved a lot as a team over the season. We all worked hard at practice, played better every day and there was a lot of improvement.”

What was a highlight of the season?

“The highlight of the season had to have been the last game. I feel like everything we’ve been working on for the whole season accumulated in that final game. Everybody was playing their hearts out and trying their best. It was a really tough battle with some great plays, and it was a lot of fun.”

Who are some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this year?

“Some of our key players are senior captain Eric Tam. He’s our setter and the center of our team. If we didn’t have him we wouldn’t get anywhere. Gavin Butterfield is a sophomore who really stepped up this season.”

What is your team dynamic like?

“Our team dynamic is really focused on having fun. There’s a really strong competitive aspect to us, but the best part about our team is that we’re always having fun at practice. Even if we’re trying our hardest, no matter what, win or lose we’re always there to have fun.”

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

“Even though our record isn’t what we wanted, we have a really young team so in the coming years we’re going to have a really strong team.”