Polls

What are you most excited for this summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1541
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Q&A: Boys’ lacrosse captain proud of standout season

Laura White
Senior Jeremy Keene (2) defends against a Shrewsbury player during their home game on May 2.

The boys’ lacrosse team has achieved success with a regular record of 9-7 and a CMASS Championship. The team was led by captains senior Nate Gulachenski and junior Ryan Roman. Roman reflected on the growth of the team and the exciting results.

How has the season gone so far?

“So far, the season has gone pretty well. We’ve had some losses that we didn’t intend on, but you can tell through the film that the way we play is more unified. We’re starting to learn our tendencies, and our chemistry is increasing.”

What do you think has been a highlight from the season?

“I’d say it was after our loss to Shrewsbury, a game we definitely should have won, but we underestimated our opponents. The highlight was what happened the second time we played them when we shut them out 9-0. It was a great team effort by everybody, and the kids really stepped up. We went in there, and we steamrolled them.

Who are some of your key players? What players especially stepped up this year?

“I think one player that really stepped up was [sophomore] Sam Yosca. Our faceoff position was open this year after the guy who had been doing it for the past four years graduated. We had to find somebody to fill that role and Sam worked extremely hard. You can tell it has paid off because he’s been a big part of our success.”

What has been the most challenging part of the season so far?

“Definitely trying to be able to keep the intensity high. I feel like after some of these losses we’ve had that we shouldn’t have had, guys get discouraged. Just being able to push through and not give up when stuff gets hard. We just have to keep going to practice and keep working hard. That’s definitely a challenge we’ve had, and I feel like we’re really starting to get back on that grind.”