What are you most excited for this summer?

$1541
$2000

Zanini retires, leaving a legacy of learning, connections

Chemistry+teacher+Lorraine+Zanini+will+retire+at+the+end+of+this+year.+
Katy O’Connell
Chemistry teacher Lorraine Zanini will retire at the end of this year.
Lorraine Zanini, then Lorraine Daniels, poses for her 1988 yearbook photo.

Science department chair and Chemistry teacher Lorraine Zanini is retiring this year after a long legacy of involvement at Algonquin and having a positive impact on students’ lives.

Outside of the classroom, Zanini advised the yearbook, coached both girls’ volleyball and girls’ basketball and advised the classes of 1992, 2000 and 2024. In addition, Zanini coached the first Algonquin boys’ volleyball team. After teaching at Algonquin for over 35 years, Zanini looks back fondly on the seemingly mundane moments in her classroom.

“My happiest memory is the little moments,” Zanini said. “I think it’s when you see a kid have success in something that they’ve worked hard for or a kid that graduates who’s been working really hard.”

Zanini also enjoys the lasting connections she’s made with students.

“I always love when a kid comes back, or a kid emails you and says ‘Thank you for all you did for me’,” Zanini said. “I’ve enjoyed it when I get emails from kids five or 10 years down the road and they tell me what they’re doing.”

My happiest memory is the little moments. I think it’s when you see a kid have success in something that they’ve worked hard for or a kid that graduates who’s been working really hard.

— Science department chair and Chemistry teacher Lorraine Zanini

Involvement outside of the classroom, through coaching and advising, is where Zanini feels she truly forms these relationships.

“I like getting to know the kids in a different way outside of class,” Zanini said. “You’re not their teacher, you’re not holding them accountable for class and there are no grades connected.”

Leadership was a large part of Zanini’s time at Algonquin, as she rose to be the Science department chair in 2002.

“I was looking at it as an opportunity to be a part of a leadership team but I didn’t want to give up teaching,” Zanini said. “For me, it was very important to not give up the teaching component, and I found the perfect balance with being on a leadership team and having a voice and a say on initiatives in the school.”

Working alongside her peers on the school-based leadership team (SBLT) is a source of joy for Zanini.

“I’ve been truly blessed,” Zanini said. “I mean I love my leadership team and I absolutely love the SBLT team. It’s a great group of department chairs; we work once a week together and we collaborate on initiatives. We’re the listening board for our teachers, and we represent them.”

One of the teachers under Zanini’s leadership is Biology teacher Elisa Drake, who will take on Zanini’s leadership role in the fall. Drake appreciates Zanini’s work as a department chair.

“She’s amazing,” Drake said. “She’s the most supportive person. She’s very detail-oriented. One of my favorite things is that she always tries to make our lives easier as teachers, especially when we’re coming back to school in the fall. She has everything organized so we can hit the ground running as teachers in our classrooms. It’s very appreciated.”

Drake, who co-advises the Class of 2024 alongside Zanini, says Zanini is a joy to collaborate with.

“[Advising with Zanini] has been wonderful,” Drake said. “Mrs. Zanini and I have very similar personalities. We see eye to eye on things and complement each other, so we trust each other, and when one person goes to do a task the other is like, ‘That’s great. I’ll do this.’ It’s been really fun and easy.”

Drake and Zanini’s advice made the work of their class officers easier and more enjoyable, according to senior class representative Lizzie Connolly. 

“She was always supportive of our ideas while also being able to guide us and provide valuable input on how things have been done in the past,” Connolly said. “Every memory with Mrs. Zanini is positive.”

Zanini left a lasting impact on peers and students alike. Junior August Costello enjoyed Zanini’s class for its educational value.

“I feel like I’ve learned in her class, but I had fun, which I can’t say about a lot of teachers I’ve had,” Costello said.

Costello recognizes Zanini’s connections with her students. 

“She still says hi to me in the halls,” Costello said. “She wrote me a letter of recommendation, and she’s been very helpful with science.”

After retirement, Zanini looks forward to babysitting her grandchild weekly, spending time with her parents and children and traveling the world. However, Algonquin will hold a special place in her heart.

“I will miss the students and my peers the most,” Zanini said.