Polls

What are you most excited for this summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Support Us
$1541
$2000

A donation of $40 or more includes a subscription to the 2023-24 print issues of The Harbinger. We will mail a copy of our fall, winter, spring and graduation issues to the recipient of your choice. Your donation supports the student journalists of Algonquin Regional High School and allows our extracurricular publication to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Porteus will continue to help others, miss Algonquin following retirement

Instructional+support+teacher+Marie+Porteus+retires%2C+celebrating+years+of+dedication+and+service+to+the+Special+Education+Department.++
Maggie Fitzgerald
Instructional support teacher Marie Porteus retires, celebrating years of dedication and service to the Special Education Department.

Instructional Support teacher Marie Porteus will retire after years of dedication and service to the Special Education Department.

Porteus began her career as an engineer, but she sought a path with a more fulfilling outcome. The best way for her to do this was through helping kids.

“I wanted to do something that has much more of a permanent value,” Porteus said. “[That was] working with kids and being able to impact them positively.”

Her background as an engineer enabled her to transfer that problem-solving mentality to the classroom.

“I was really drawn to special education as opposed to teaching in a Science Department or a Math Department,” Porteus said. “It’s been a lot of fun. It’s puzzles. A lot of it is, ‘How do I help this kid learn math when it’s really hard for them to learn in the traditional way it’s taught?’”

The impact that Porteus has had is what gives her the most pride and is what will cement her legacy as a teacher.

“[The most rewarding thing is] to see the progress and this kid who’s been working so hard and learning things that you’re teaching them and really absorbing it and embracing it,” Porteus said. “Then they pop out at the end as this really successful kid. They’re living their dream, they’re doing what they want after they graduate. Those are the things that really, really make my heart happy.”

[The most rewarding thing is] to see the progress and this kid who’s been working so hard and learning things that you’re teaching them and really absorbing it and embracing it. Then they pop out at the end as this really successful kid.

— Instructional Support teacher Marie Porteus

Fostering positive change in students is an aspect of the job that Porteus values.

“Having kids for four years means that I get to see this evolution,” Porteus said. “We get to know each other and I get to know the parents. I can see the growth and not too many teachers get that privilege. You might have a kid for a year, for a semester, but this is fun watching them go from little puppies to adults.” 

Fellow special education teacher and close friend of Porteus Sherry Nolan-Hess supports this sentiment.

“She’s very caring,” Nolan-Hess said. “She really cares about kids and their successes. She’ll go the 10 extra miles to make sure a student is where they need to be, and she’s a good advocate for her kids.”

Recognizing her dedication, Nolan-Hess also expressed the excitement Porteus will carry into her next steps.

“I think she’s really excited about her new adventure,” Nolan-Hess said. “She’ll go out with a smile and follow through with all her plans.”

Porteus carries the sentiment that she is graduating, not retiring. Following her departure from Algonquin, she will continue to help students. Her position as the long-time advisor of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) as well as her first-hand experience with kids who weren’t accepted due to their sexuality manifested itself in a great desire to help homeless LGBTQ kids.

“I want to work with kids, but I want to work with the kids that really could use the love and the help, so that’s where that’s going,” Porteus said. “That’s why I’m graduating and not retiring.”

Biology teacher Courtney Gilpin works in the classroom next door to Porteus. She attests to Porteus’ strength as an educator.

“Building relationships with students has always been Porteus’ superhero power,” Gilpin said via email.

In addition to her strong connections with students, Gilpin shared some of the personal traits and moments that made Porteus special.

“I will miss her drop-bys, wicked sense of humor, warm smile, updates on her family, stories of vacationing in Maine, her tailoring skills and sewing expertise, amongst many other things,” Gilpin said.

Porteus plans to spend her time weaving and sewing when she’s not volunteering. Her varied talents, positive attitude, and passion for her job will be fondly remembered.

“I love the people I work with,” Porteus said. “I’ve got some really great friends. It’s been a pretty amazing experience and the good part is I get to take so much of this experience and bring it into the next thing. I’m very grateful for that.”