$1501
$2000

MUNA’s podcast ‘Gayotic’ balances lighthearted comedy with engaging reflection

Graphics+Editor+Kate+Michel+writes+about+the+podcast%2C+Gayotic%2C+hosted+by+indie+pop+band+MUNA.+
Courtesy Headgum, Inc.
Graphics Editor Kate Michel writes about the podcast, “Gayotic,” hosted by indie pop band MUNA.

With its irresistible humor, touching moments of sincerity, star-studded cast of guests and complete lack of structure, podcast lovers and haters alike will find something to love about “Gayotic.”

Hosted by the three members of MUNA – lead singer Katie Gavin, lead guitarist Josette Maskin and multi-instrumentalist Naomi McPherson – the podcast is, as its name would suggest, equal parts gay and chaotic. The task of describing what exactly “Gayotic” is about is nearly impossible.

The debut episode of “Gayotic” was released in June 2021, a year before the release of MUNA’s self-titled third album. Featuring hit songs like “Silk Chiffon” and “What I Want,” this album accelerated MUNA’s rise to fame and led them to open for Taylor Swift on her legendary Eras Tour. During this time, “Gayotic” took what was seemingly an endless hiatus, starting in October 2021. It wasn’t until May 2023 that “Gayotic” finally returned.

As a newer fan of MUNA, I hadn’t heard of the podcast until that day. At first, I was skeptical. I’m not a podcast fan; the only one I’ve ever been able to get into was John Green’s The Anthropocene Reviewed, which I had to listen to for an AP Language and Composition assignment and enjoyed an embarrassing amount. “Gayotic” is the polar opposite of any podcast I’ve ever experienced. It feels like I’ve simply walked in on Gavin, Maskin and McPherson chatting about life in an overlapping stream of consciousness. The official website of Headgum, the studio that hosts “Gayotic,” tells us that MUNA has been “described by the press as ‘occasionally hard-to-follow,’ ‘as chaotic as they are iconic,’ and ‘going through it,’” a sentiment I completely agree with. There might be times when I have no clue what any of MUNA’s three members are talking about, but I enjoy every second of it.

With titles like “Circus Me Plus,” “Silly Little Goose,” “Relentless Jackhammer” and most recently “Bing Deck Toe,” it’s impossible to know what the topic of “Gayotic’s episodes will be until you press play. There are common themes across all episodes; for example, Gavin often asks special guests about the first time they felt “gay shame,” or the feeling of becoming aware that society does not view being queer as normal. All three members of MUNA have had very different experiences growing up queer. While Gavin grew up more feminine and “straight-passing,” Maskin grappled with how she wanted to present herself and McPherson faced gender dysphoria as a nonbinary individual. Gavin and McPherson even dated for three years in college. It’s almost a miracle that MUNA has managed to grow up together instead of growing apart, but the strength and closeness of their relationship is truly what makes their bond so compelling.

Though the episodes starring only the three members of MUNA are often my favorite, it can be hilarious to add a special guest to the mix. “Gayotic” has featured a number of guests, including Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, Clea DuVall, Bowen Yang, and more. Their presence takes the podcast down unexpected tangents that never fail to make me either laugh or contemplate my existence. Some episodes, such as the “Suckisode” and “Dumbassology,” take place on MUNA’s tour bus as they make their way through Europe. Gavin is reduced to giggles, McPherson stares into space, and Maskin can’t stop calling everyone “baby.”

Despite its humor and overall chaos, there have been times when I’ve been surprisingly moved by something discussed on “Gayotic”. All three members of MUNA have almost made me cry on three separate occasions. The podcast is an emotional rollercoaster that’s perfect for waking you up in the morning, adding some much-needed silliness to a boring afternoon and letting you process the day as you drive through the night. As of now, new episodes come out every other Wednesday on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Whether you’re looking for a new podcast or wondering if podcasts are for you, I’d recommend giving “Gayotic” a listen.