Boys’ lacrosse advances to MIAA round of 16

Riya Mahanta, Editor-in-Chief

The boys’ varsity lacrosse team defeated Bridgewater-Raynham with a 13-4 win on June 6 during the first round of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) tournament. The team entered the  state tournament as the number 12 seed.

The team’s regular season ended with a 15-3 record.

“This season has been one of the best in program history,” junior Nate Gulachenski said. “We haven’t had many struggles this year; it just boils down to everyone doing their part and we are successful. All season we have meshed together like a family and that has been the key to our success.”

This season, there were many standout players who helped the team get where they are.

“Two players that have really stood out this season to me are [freshman] Luke Harwich and [senior] Owen Morse,” Gulachenski said. “Luke leads the team in points by a mile with 97. Every game he is someone who we count on to put in goals consistently. Owen, on the other hand, can completely take over a game as a face-off specialist guaranteeing us lots of extra possessions that can make all the difference.”

According to Gulachenski, this season has been especially memorable as it is coach Matt Nofsinger’s final season coaching.

“Coach Nof has been one of my favorite coaches throughout my athletic career,” Gulachenski said. “Something that I feel like we will all miss about him is how he always went the extra mile for us. He would drive over an hour to scout games for us, volunteer his free time to schedule an extra practice and so many other things to put us in the best position to win.”