Youth vote makes a difference

Mark Mshooshian, Staff Writer

Massachusetts’ governor election on November 4 has sparked Algonquin student voters who hope to see a large youth voting turnout.
Most students are not of legal voting age; however, some students with more political inclination than most, truly care about the impact of young voters.

“Younger generations are under represented in voter turnout,” Social Department chair Brittany Burns said. “That means that older generations are making decisions for them, and those decisions have impacts on [the youth’s] lives and opportunities.”

Although some hold the mistaken belief that only the large senatorial or presidential elections matter, according to AP US Government teacher Brian Kellett, voting in smaller local elections is just as important.

“Voting in the local elections, in some ways may have more of a direct impact on people,” Kellett said. “So in a more direct sense it affects your own world.”
Kellett also pointed out that the governor decides how funds are ultimately apportioned to education, an issue that would directly effect Algonquin students.

The two major candidates for the upcoming election are Democrat Martha Coakley and Republican Charlie Baker.

Coakley, currently serving as the state’s first female Attorney General, plans to make changes to increase economic growth in the private sector, and wants to help school systems and students prosper, according to her campaign website marthacoakley.com.
Baker worked as the former CEO of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, and worked under former Massachusetts governors as the Secretary of Administration and Finance. He wants a bipartisan approach to education, economy, and creating safer and stronger communities, according to his campaign website charliebaker2014.com.

Independent candidates Evan Falchuk and Jeff McCormick will also appear on the ballot.

Although underclassmen and juniors will not be old enough to vote in this election, several seniors are adamant about voting in the upcoming election.

“I vote because I feel that it is important to affect the political system,” senior Jack Danberg said. “I also vote to hopefully change the direction of this country towards a more progressive place.”

Senior Abi Furgal also plans to vote.

“ If young people want an elected official who will be focusing on things that matter to them, for example the state gas tax or in-state tuition grants then the only way to get that official is to actively participate in the voting process,” she said.