District launches remote learning during school closure

Courtesy Nsboro-Connect 2.0 website

This is the schedule for Algonquin students during the time of remote learning. During these times teacher are allowed to have real time connection with students. Office hours are the same as extra help hours.

Ben Schanzer, Assistant Sports Editor

Algonquin has started to use a new remote learning system, NSBORO-CONNECT 2.0, which started April 6, which includes mandatory work and graded assignments

NSBORO-CONNECT 2.0 by Benjamin Schanzer

Each school day has been divided into three or four periods of “real-time connection,”  including Zoom-like video conferences, shared Google Doc discussions and Canvas discussion boards.

“Real-time connections can be accomplished in many formats including video conference, shared Google document, chat, telephone conference call, pre-recorded video or discussion board,” the NSBORO-CONNECT website reads.

For high school students, these “real-time connections” will occur Monday through Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 1:55 p.m.  Teachers will be available for Office hours last period Tuesday and Thursday and all day Friday.

“Office hours provide additional time for students to ask questions of their teachers and/or check-in,” the website reads. “Office hours can be accomplished through a variety of formats including video conference, telephone call, email and digital chat.”

According to an email from Principal Sara Pragluski Walsh, high school students can expect no more than 150 to 180 additional minutes of school work per week outside of real-time connections.

While NSBORO-CONNECT 2.0 is in effect, all assignments will be graded as credit/no credit.

“A credit score for an assignment is 100 percent,” the email explains.  “A no credit score for an assignment is 59 percent.”

Holidays, such as Good Friday will still be part of the schedule, so students will not be required to complete assignments during that time.  

In the email, Walsh also explains that with the launch of NSBORO-CONNECT 2.0, term four begins. This means all work completed between March 13 and April 3 will not count toward final grades.  

According to the email, Quarter four will account for 13 percent of final grades, which is less than quarters one and two (both 27 percent) due to the remote learning and less time.  Quarter 3 will account for 20 percent of the final grade.

In addition to changes in term lengths and weights, there will be no final exams this year.

Upon the return to school, all credit/no credit assignments will be averaged with the traditional learning assignments to make the complete term four grade.

While the decision is subject to change, currently all second semester only classes will remain on a numerical grading scale as opposed to pass/fail basis regarding final grade. The administration acknowledges this could create GPA issues with students taking semester classes and will continue to assess the situation.