Girls’ basketball falls to Shrewsbury despite strong start

Jonny Ratner

Moving past her defender, senior captain Simone Fiore drives to the basket. Fiore finished with 4 points.

Andrew Roberts, Staff Writer

Girls’ basketball fell to Shrewsbury 53-40, despite a 7-0 run to start the game and a 13-12 lead at the end of the first quarter on senior night, Friday, Feb. 7.

It was a team effort as Algonquin made the game close. Senior captain Simone Fiore and senior Patricia Biamou put up strong games both offensively and defensively. 

Sophomores Dani Adams and Anna Grace Hjerpe led the offense with 11 and 10 points, respectively.  Sophomore Jada Carter-Frem also contributed five points.

“I think the fact that it was senior night motivated us to work really hard so the seniors could have a night to remember,” Carter-Frem said.

A three-pointer by Carter-Frem was only the start of Algonquin’s strong first quarter.

The team lost their lead in the 2nd quarter as senior captain Jalycianna Horton and sophomores Carrie Hess and Maddie Luke led a Shrewsbury comeback.  However, Algonquin put up a strong start against one of their toughest competitors.

“We were excited because we proved we could keep up with [Shrewsbury] after losing by 20 last time,” Adams said.

Horton led the Colonials in scoring with a double-digit point total. Hess also contributed double-digits.  

“[Shrewsbury] is a tough team,” Fiore said.  “It’s really tough to guard them, they have a really good post player and a lot of outside threats as well.”

The team traveled to Westborough on Tuesday, Feb. 11 for one final game and won 60-45, with Carter-Frem scoring 28 points.