Graphic Liza Armstrong

Staff writers Colin Kerrigan and Hayley Michel write that “Make Your Bed” by Adm. William H. McRaven brings Navy SEAL training philosophies to everyday life.

REVIEW: “Make Your Bed” brings Navy SEAL training ideas to everyday life

November 4, 2019

McRaven connects to civilians through wit, description

You might think the life you live is very different from the life of a Navy SEAL, but the book “Make Your Bed” illustrates that you may be wrong. 

In “Make Your Bed,” Adm. William “Mac” McRaven discusses 10 lessons he learned in the SEALs. Each chapter’s title is a piece of life advice: often something as simple as making your bed every morning or not judging someone based on their size. All of these lessons can be applied to everyday life. McRaven backs up each statement using stories – one from training and one from his missions – that he recalls from his military experience.

“Make Your Bed” says a lot in a few words. The book has only 10 chapters, of about eight pages each, but each chapter expresses a new message, including only the most important details. The writing is descriptive in a way that paints a picture, and McRaven utilizes a mix of funny, serious and sad stories. The change in mood between stories allows for few, if any, boring sections of this book.

Overall, I would recommend  “Make Your Bed” to readers interested in stories that feel real and maintain excitement. While many non-fiction books easily bore readers like me who need constant entertainment, once I started reading, I could not stop, and finished the book in one night.