Girls’ track continues win streak with Leominster

Algonquin+athletes+dominate+Leominster+in+the+400M+hurdle+event%2C+claiming+all+three+top+spots.+

Photo Margaret Andrews

Algonquin athletes dominate Leominster in the 400M hurdle event, claiming all three top spots.

The girls’ track team continues to strive and succeed at meet performances, securing a 139-6 win against Leominster on May 1 at Algonquin.

The team entered the meet with a 4-1 record for the season and was hopeful for a  win.

Starting the meet was the jumping events. In the high jump, freshman Priscilla De Carvalho earned first place by jumping 4’-9”. Sophomore Christina Defeudis was first place in the long jump with a 15’-1.5” and the triple jump with a  32’-8.75” jump. Senior team captain Laura Dunderdale jumped 30’-8.75” taking third in the triple jump.

“We’ve been facing Leominster for a really long time, and we know their tendencies and what they’re good at,” Dunderdale said. “In my events they don’t really excel, so I was pretty comfortable going in.”

The next events were the long distance and sprints. In the two mile race, sophomores Maeve Grandpre and Gabriella Clune placed first and second with times of 13:09.4 and 13.13.1. Senior Tess Reyes placed third with a time of 13:33.

“I felt pretty good today; some days it can be pretty tough because I have two meets a week and I have to balance goals for different ones,” Reyes said. “I’m running more of a short sprinting event this Saturday at our next meet so I was mostly just getting ready for that.”

In the one mile race, sophomore Kaitlyn Desio placed first with a time of 5:35.0 while junior Julia Kardos earned second place with a time of 5:35.2.

Desio explained her strategy to run with Kardos during the race and described the toll running long distances can take on the mind of the runner.

“The mental block when you’re like ‘I’m so tired, this is so painful, I don’t wanna keep going’ and everyone’s screaming your name and you don’t know if you can go any faster…” Desio said. “Pushing through that is always a challenge for me but once I push through it and cross the finish line it’s all worth it.”

In the short distance running events, sophomore Day Ruffo got first place in the 100M sprint with a time of 12.7, while sophomore Danielle Defeudis came in second with a time of 12.9. Defeudis also placed first in the 200M sprint. Algonquin excelled in the short distance sprinting events as well as the hurdle events.

Head coach Ken Morin is hopeful the team will go on to win some major competitions as the season continues.

“We were very confident that we would be successful [today].” Morin said. “I believe [we] will be in the mix to win the Class A, League and Central-Western Mass Championship meets.”