Gronkowski retires: a look back on the beloved tight end’s career

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert Cloys

In addition to being a star player for the Patriots, tight end Rob Gronkowski gave back to his community. Gronkowski ran football drills for about 100 military children at a ProCamps event on Joint Base Andrews, Md., July 2, 2015.

Karthik Yalala, Staff Writer

One of our favorite sports characters, the Patriots’ tight end Rob Gronkowski, sadly retired on March 24, changing the course of the Patriots’ offseason.

Whether you like him for the craziness he brought to the NFL, or the record-setting numbers he put up, he will be missed.

In nine seasons the 6’6” 260 pound beast of a tight end managed to catch 521 passes, rack up 7,861 reception yards and score 79 touchdowns, all of them for the Patriots. Gronk is also a three time Super Bowl champion and a five time Pro Bowler.

He changed the way many fans look at the tight end position.

“No one really knew what [the tight end] position was before him; everyone thought it was a lineman but now he can do more than just block,” senior Lauren Seavey said.

He was definitely known for his catching ability as a tight end, but he was also a key blocker in the Patriots’ offense and was a huge help in the Patriots’ run game, which helped them win Super Bowl 53. Gronk is a special type of player, which is why Pats nation will dearly miss him.

Losing Gronk will have a huge impact on the Patriots’ offense. Whenever they needed a big play, they went to number 87. For example, Gronk’s last catch of his career was in Super Bowl 53. It was a 29 yard fourth quarter strike by Tom Brady into Gronk’s waiting arms. This big play set the Patriots up two yards away from the end zone and lead to the first and only touchdown in the game.

From an early age, Gronk showed an interest in sports. He and his four brothers were competitive with each other, and it was clear they all had the potential to be great athletes, although some see Gronk’s potential limited in other areas.

“He was pretty dumb, so I don’t know what he would’ve done without football,” junior Samuel Robert said.

Gronk’s connection with Tom Brady was like no other. Last offseason, when there was  talk of the Patriots trading Gronk to the Detroit Lions, he considered retiring if the Patriots traded him.

“Brady’s my quarterback, that’s all,” Gronkowski said to reporters earlier this year. “Wasn’t going anywhere without Brady.”

Although only 29 years old, Gronkowski’s career was shortened because of multiple injuries.

“It’s a good idea [to retire] because he wants to be able to walk when he’s forty,” sophomore Michael McEvoy said.

Gronkowski had a back injury in his college career with the University of Arizona Wildcats, which sidelined him for his 2009 season. Some notable injuries in his NFL career include fracturing his forearm and then refracturing it, an ACL and MCL tear and multiple concussions. These injuries took a toll on Gronk, and caused him to retire after nine seasons.

So is he the greatest tight end of all time? Since I’m a Pats fan, he is. He brought a rare combination of strength, size and speed. He was not only an amazing pass catcher, but he could block defensive ends like he was an offensive lineman. He was essentially a refined receiver that could block at a very high level.

No one knows what exactly Gronk will do after football.

Seavey believes that he’ll probably go to WWE or acting.

Gronk’s life off of the football field is as entertaining as the plays he makes on the field. Gronk is known for his partying, and he even has a Gronk Party bus. He also has a girlfriend, Camille Kostek–a former Patriots cheerleader.

“His girlfriend is really hot, so good for him,” Roberts said.

Whether he goes into the WWE or acting or something else, I’m sure he’ll be great. He brings a special energy to whatever he does.

“He was just kind of like a little kid almost–everything was purehearted,” McEvoy said.

“I’m going to miss his dance moves on the field,” math teacher Lauren Hesemeyer said.

Pats nation will miss him dearly from his touchdowns to his crazy and fun personality.

Like Gronk says himself, “Yo soy fiesta.” Gronk is the party, and will be very much missed.