Community helps reduce financial burden of prom

Permission lisrockphotography.com

The Metrowest Princess Boutique offers a conscious alternative to prom dresses.

Catherine Hayden, News Editor

The Metrowest Princess Boutique’s annual event to provide free prom dresses and accessories will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 16 at Marlborough High School.

The Metrowest Princess Boutique is an organization run by the General Federation of Women’s Clubs Marlborough Junior Women’s Club that is aimed at providing new and gently used prom attire for students with financial burdens.

Students interested in receiving prom attire must sign up for an appointment for the event using the Metrowest Princess Boutique’s website. This process ensures that each girl has a personal shopper to help her pick the perfect outfit.

“If a girl comes in and finds a dress that she loves, typically she’ll be able to find a pair of shoes, she’ll be able to find earrings or jewelry and a makeup kit for her palette,” Algonquin REACH Program’s registered nurse and volunteer personal shopper Rebecca Blaton said. “She can leave oftentimes with that dress ready to go to the prom.”

To donate gowns for the event, students can drop them off with Blanton in A113 through Friday, March 15. According to the Metrowest Princess Boutique website, shoes, jewelry, makeup and purse donations are currently being accepted and can be dropped off at Serendipity in Hudson or Wayside Racquet & Swim Club in Marlborough.

Director of Guidance Lisa Connery encourages students to donate and believes the benefits of this organization go beyond just those receiving the formal wear.

“[The Metrowest Princess Boutique is] an opportunity for some of our students to donate and to feel as though they are contributing and creating a positive experience for another student who might not have the resources that they have,” Connery said. “I think it’s a win-win for everyone.”