Best buddy pairs share what they are excited for this year

Aaliyah Yan, Emily Kress, and Maggie Del Re

• Best Buddies is a club based on inclusion and acceptance where students with physical or intellectual disabilities socialize with students without disabilities. The club meets on Wednesdays in Hausmann’s classroom, D203. At their October 17 meeting, Best Buddies club members painted pumpkins together.

Emily Kress

• Each year, club members are matched into “Buddy Pairs.” Buddy Pairs spend time together outside of school and with the club, and in most cases, by the end of the year they are close friends who maintain their connections for years to come. “I’m excited to get to meet new people and hang with [senior] Alexis [Sokoloff] and to make a difference,” junior Lauren Silva [above] said. “I’m happy to be hanging with Lauren [Silva],” Alexis Sokoloff [front] said.

Emily Kress

• October is always exciting for Best Buddies members because of the annual Halloween party. “I can’t wait for the fun Halloween party in Westborough for Best Buddies,” sophomore Erin Desmond [right] said. This year’s Best Buddies Halloween party was on October 26 from 6 to 8 pm at Westborough High School. Freshman Brooke Harrison [left] said she is excited for “trick-or-treating with my buddy.”

Emily Kress

• Senior Sam Morse [left] is excited for the upcoming Halloween Dance, too. His buddy, sophomore Luke Osetek [right], is excited “to meet new people and make more friends.”

Emily Kress

• Buddy pairs pick activities to do together every month. They can do whatever they think will be fun with no restrictions from the school or the club. “I’ve never been a peer buddy; Juliana [Eigen] is my first,” senior Cecelia Arcona [left] said. “I’m most excited to spend time with Juliana and choosing what we get to do each month.” The planned club events are also exciting things to look forward to. “I’m excited for all the events that we have,” junior Juliana Eigen [right] said.

Emily Kress

• “I like Best Buddies because it’s big, and there’s new faces, and there’s a lot of activities,” junior Will Iverson [left] said. “I’m happy I’m with Nick [Alcock] and I get to hang out with him.” “I’m most excited to shoot baskets and going to all the unified basketball games,” sophomore Nick Alcock [right] said. “And I’m excited for seeing all the new people.”

Emily Kress

• “I’m excited to get to know all the new people,” senior Leah Barker [right] said. “I’m excited for the events,” post-graduate Caroline Wan [left] said.

Emily Kress

• “I’m excited for the Buddy Walk,” freshman Abby Austvold [left] said. The Buddy Walk is an annual event to raise money for the club where buddies go to the Bolton Fairground to walk and participate in activities. Austvolt’s buddy, sophomore Ally Cashin [right], is excited to “just get to know [Austvold].”

Emily Kress

• “I’m excited for going to the APEX center!” sophomore Alex Reyes [left] said. “I’m excited to meet new people,” sophomore David Gillingham [right] said.

Emily Kress

• “I’m most excited for our fun events,” senior Lilly Schaefer [right] said. “There are a lot of opportunities to make new friends, like our Friendship Ball in February.” The Friendship Ball is an annual event where buddies can dance the night away. Schaefer's buddy, sophomore Julia Cobb [left], is more excited for the upcoming Halloween Dance than the Friendship Ball.

Emily Kress

• Freshman Andreas Bello [left] is most excited for unified basketball. His buddy, sophomore Olivia Battles [right], is excited for “hanging out with Andreas [Bello].”

Emily Kress

• “I’m most excited about the new buddy pairs,” Best Buddies adviser Kevin Hausmann said. “We have a lot of new connections and students getting to know each other.”

Emily Kress