Track teams on track to compete for league title

James Harvey, Staff Writer

Both the boys and girls outdoor track teams plan on beating defending league champions Wachusett this season as they look to improve upon their successful indoor seasons.

Last outdoor season, the boys team came in second place in both the league and district championship, and the girls came in second place in the league championship and first in the district championship. Both teams plan to build upon last years success by working hard to improve their personal records.

“I think we are going to have a good season. I am expecting a lot of personal growth for all members of the team,” boys head coach Andrew Boschetto said.

According to Boschetto, while it will be hard to defeat the reigning league champions Wachusett, it is not going to be impossible. Both the boys and girls teams have different strengths that the coaches plan to exploit during the season.

“I think our biggest asset this year is going to be our distance runners. Our athletes have a chance to break the 800m, 1 mile, and 2 mile, and 4X800m records,” Boschetto said.

While lots of the boys talent comes from their distance squad, the girls coach believes his talent is spread out a little more evenly.

“I think that the biggest strength of our team is balance. We have a lot of very good athletes in every event with very good distance runners, jumpers, sprinters, and throwers. To be honest I really don’t see any weaknesses,” girls head coach Ken Morin said.

While the coaches think that it is the athletes that could propel the teams to the promise land, the athletes have a different opinion.

“Coach Boschetto is a great track coach who always puts the athletes first. We have a very good team this year and I know he will do everything in his power to get us to a level where we will be competing for a league championship,” senior Josh Ufland said.

The girls have the same idea about Morin, who was voted 2013-2014 CMASS Indoor Track Coach of the Year.

“Coach Morin is an awesome coach. He knows how to push everyone to their limits in order to bring out their personal bests. With him leading I think we have a great chance to beat Wachusett this year,” junior Gina Sherman said.

While the outlook for this season is bright, the future of the team shines even brighter.

“We have an incredibly strong sophomore class. They have already broken a lot of records and in the future I see them breaking a lot more,” coach Boschetto said.