Annual Special Olympics joins Northborough, Southborough communities together

Asma Ali, Assistant Online Editor

Students, parents, faculty, and spectators alike all joined together on Algonquin’s football field on May 11 for quite a special sporting event: the Special Olympics.

The Special Olympics is a yearly sporting event in which participants with intellectual disabilities are able to compete and participate in an inclusive environment. This year, the event was held at Algonquin where over a hundred individuals gathered to participate in the Olympics and support children of all ages, from elementary to past high school-age.

There were children from the local elementary schools of Northborough and Southborough as well as those of Algonquin. Younger children were bused in from their regular schools in order to participate in the games. Parents and supporters followed as well, as well as the participants’ peer buddies.

The event was more than just sports, however; the unified singing club kicked off the Special Olympics with the national anthem.

“I always come to [the Special Olympics], and today I brought the unified singing club and directed them,” parent Laurie Diamond said. “I was part of that and it was just extraordinary. This is all I want to be doing.”

Diamond’s daughter, Annalise, was a participant in the games, competing in events such as races, long jumps, and javelin throws.

Freshmen Julia Cobb and Robin Snow, as well as Will Corwin from the class of 2016 all seemed to agree on a favorite event.

“My favorite part so far was running the 100-meter dash,” Corwin said.

Cobb’s buddy who came alongside her, eighth grader Maddie Stockman, enjoyed watching her friend perform.

“It’s just been really cool; it’s fun to cheer,” Stockman said.

As participants enjoyed their day, parents and onlookers did, too, with many Algonquin gym classes coming outside to watch the games. Gym teacher Patrick Russell took his class outside, and they took the seats in the stands.

“We want to support all of our participating athletes, and support the competition,” Russell said.

It was a rewarding day for all; the event fostered inclusion and diversity, much needed in today’s society.

“It’s important to spread awareness that these kids are limitless and capable of everything, and that not only acceptance but also celebration is important for all human beings,” Diamond said.