• October 16Term one will end on November 3.

• October 16There will be a school committee on October 25 to discuss to school calendar for the 2018-2019 school year.

• October 16Sachem will be hosting a coffee house on October 30 in the black box.

Girls’ field hockey finds success through new motto of team camaraderie

This year, a

This year, a "core covenant", or motto, based on support has been guiding the team towards a successful record of 5-1-2.

Jordan Manousos

Jordan Manousos

Anna Silver and Anita Nyberg

Through consistent support and encouragement for each other, the girls’ varsity field hockey team has performed strong with a record of 5-1-2 and a path for further improvement for the rest of the season.

Although introducing new members to a closely-bonded team can be challenging, the seven new and thirteen returning athletes have transitioned well as a tight-knit and focused team.

“There’s a core group that understands the expectation of varsity field hockey, and then you’ve got seven other girls that are trying to figure out what that means,” coach Dan Welty said. “I think that’s part of it coming together, girls are still learning what it means to compete and what the level is that we want to be at, and it’s those returning girls that are really teaching them that.”

The team is focusing on teamwork this year, and have stood by a core covenant, which has been their motto to motivate them day after day.

“This year, we’ve created what is called a core covenant of the team, and that is every player becomes better and improves throughout the season, each of your teammates are there to support you and you are there to support each of your teammates,” Welty said. “It’s something that I push every day and that’s something that every girl knows, she’s trying to get better for herself and for the team.”

The athletes understand the importance of a close team and appreciate their teammates’ companionship on and off the field.

“We’re all really close,” senior captain Angie Ferro said. “You can always come to practice and know there’s going to be nineteen girls ready to hear all about your awful day.”

“People are really supportive and there’s a lot of positive energy,” senior Jyothi Polackal said.

The team has some standout players this year who have contributed to this season’s general success.

“[Senior] Julianne Sacco is center mid, a four-year varsity player, and she’s really controlling our attack,” Welty said. “[Junior] Erin Blake has really stepped up in goal this year. And, [senior] Liv Giles had minimal playing time last year, but this year she’s starting every game and has gotten nine goals so far.”

Currently, the team’s main goal is making their way to playoffs by continuing to work together and maintaining their strong season. For the ten seniors on the team, this is their last season of the sport in their high school careers, so they are trying to savor these final games while working to improve their skills.

“[I’m looking forward to] seeing everyone improve and get better and seeing how their skills develop,” senior co-captain Caroline Riley said.