Jazz Night serenades audience with flair

Guest artist Christine Fawson trumpets away during Jazz Night.

Submitted Northboro Southboro Music Association

Maggie Del Re, Assistant A&E Editor

Five school jazz groups and guest artist Christine Fawson performed at Algonquin’s annual Jazz Night on March 1 in the auditorium.

The night began with performances by Trottier and Melican jazz bands, followed by an Algonquin jazz choir, and two Algonquin jazz bands. Fawson, a local jazz singer and instrumentalist, helped students prepare for Jazz Night during rehearsal and accompanied each group on stage.

“I’m all passion, dude, and working with the kids keeps me honest,” Fawson said. “I love young energy… The best musicians I know are kids still.”

According to band director Eric Vincent, playing in the jazz band requires great commitment.

“Jazz bands are extracurricular auditioned groups, and jazz chorus is a unit for the chamber choir,” Vincent said. “They are practicing all the time all year.”

Jazz is uniquely American. They play it around the world, but it’s from America, and it’s so different from classical or symphonic stuff because it creates a different mood, and it’s fun to play.”

— Sophomore Maya Sagarin

Sophomore Maya Sagarin performed in jazz night with both the second Algonquin  jazz band, and the jazz choir. She feels that jazz is fun because of how different it is from other styles of music.

“Jazz is uniquely American,” Sagarin said. “They play it around the world, but it’s from America, and it’s so different from classical or symphonic stuff because it creates a different mood, and it’s fun to play.”

Freshman Karmyn Shreeve also participated in Jazz Night by playing electric bass for the first Algonquin jazz group. She also plays an upright bass for the school’s orchestra.

“I prefer playing jazz to orchestral music,” Shreeve said. “It’s just more fun to play.”

Contrary to Sagarin and Shreeve, sophomore Harry Marble sings for chamber choir, and disliked the jazz unit.

“It [jazz] is deeply rooted in improv,” Marble said. “I prefer the more structured types of music. Jazz can get really repetitive and boring really fast.”

Despite mixed amounts of enthusiasm from student musicians, according to Vincent, Jazz Night was successful in showcasing all of the performer’s hard work.

“I thought it was great,” Vincent said. “I think the students got a lot out of it.”

“I think it went pretty well,” Shreeve said. “Everyone sounded really good, from the middle school groups, to the choir, and the bands.”

About the Writer
Maggie Del Re, Editor-in-Chief

Maggie was unwillingly thrusted into journalism class freshman year due to a scheduling snafu. Already a passionate writer, she quickly fell in love with journalistic storytelling and decided to follow this newfound interest by becoming an editor. She served as the Arts and Entertainment editor for three years and then leapt to Editor-in-Chief somehow. Now she spends every moment obsessively thinking about the Harbinger and suffering. She basically sold her soul to this paper, but she wouldn’t have it any other way.