New coach, new era for boys’ lacrosse with Nofsinger

Submitted Matt Nofsinger

New boys lacrosse coach Matt Nofsinger is prepared to continue with the program’s history of winning.

Alex VanAntwerp, Staff Writer

With plans to continue the tradition, the new varsity boys lacrosse coach, Matt Nofsinger, looks forward to the upcoming season.

Nofsinger is a seasoned veteran of the lacrosse scene with a history of success.

“He has an understanding, [and] an overall vision of what it takes to run a very successful program,” Athletic Director Karrah Ellis said.

Nofsinger’s philosophy on coaching emphasizes teaching players to be excellent on and off the field.

“I have a firm education in discipline,” Nofsinger said. “I believe in pushing my student-athletes harder than they may be willing to push themselves as well as stressing the importance of being team players. One of my most important coaching philosophies I instill in my players is that hard work and diligence pays off on and off the field. I also strongly focus on teaching my student-athletes life long values that will guide them to make solid decisions on and off the field and successfully transition to life outside of high school.”

Nofsinger was a highly qualified candidate for this position due to his past coaching jobs.

“I started my coaching career in Hopkinton, developed the Westborough Varsity and Junior Varsity Lacrosse program leading to two district titles and a league title,” Nofsinger said. “I’ve also coached youth lacrosse teams, camps, and organized clinics. Currently, I coach with Rising Stars Select Lacrosse.”

Coaching against ARHS in the past has also shaped Nofsinger’s decision to coach the Algonquin lacrosse team.

“I’ve coached against ARHS for years and have always respected their work ethic and game play,” Nofsinger said. “We have successful youth programs and high school teams. Living in the community for the past 10 years I have seen the supporting environment. It’s an honor and a privilege to be part of Northborough – Southborough Lacrosse,”

Every team Nofsinger has coached, has made it to the district championships. He has also coached players who have gone on to compete at the college level and several high school All-American lacrosse players.

“There is no real secret,” Nofsinger said. “Having a highly prepared staff and players focusing on each possession. Knowing my team’s strengths while exposing other teams weaknesses is an essential part of success. Hard work and working cohesively as a unit in all facets of the game helps lead to highly competitive and successful teams.”

Returning varsity players are excited to have him on board.

“We met him a couple of weeks ago,” senior captain Mike Martens said. “We liked his philosophies and he seems to know what he’s talking about.”

Nofsinger plans to help the team become better than ever.

“[I’ll] continue the traditions and build upon the program’s current successes while keeping the momentum going,” Nofsinger said

“There is a big difference between being good, getting better, and being the best. I want all our student athletes to strive to be the best they can be.”