Poetry Out Loud school finalist recites verse at State Finals

Photo Rafaela Coelho

English teacher and Poetry Out Loud advisor Seth Czarnecki announces junior Kara Hadden as the winner of the school finals.

Carey Davis, Online Editor

Junior Kara Hadden competed at the Poetry Out Loud State Finals at the Old South Meeting House in Boston on March 12.

“There were 24 state finalists who were at Boston, and I went first,” Hadden said. “My first poem was ‘Eros Turannos’ by Edwin Arlington Robinson… my second was ‘The Gaffe’ by C.K. Williams.”

Each of the contestants recited two poems with a break in middle, which consisted of listening to Regie Gibson, a professional poet.

“I was so impressed by everyone there, everyone was really good, and just being there was nice. I love poetry,” Hadden said.

Hadden progressed onto States after being ranked within the top four contestants at the Poetry Out Loud Region Finals in Framingham on March 4. This was her third year as a final contestant at Algonquin, but her first time moving on beyond the school level competition.

“Being at the state competition was more eye opening. People were more dramatic; that’s something I could work on,” Hadden said.

Hadden plans to compete next year as well, and continues to enjoy poetry outside of the realm of competition, one of her favorite poets being C.K. Williams.

Hadden also wished to impart advice to fellow students who are pondering whether to participate in Poetry Out Loud.

“Try not to memorize the poem the night before because it’s less stressful,” Hadden said. “Also, choose poems you like; it’s more fun. And read poetry; it’s good.”