Photo Rafaela Coelho

“All Judaism, all the time!”

With senior Avery Manousos

Describe the religion you celebrate around the holidays.
“I celebrate Hanukkah. It goes on for eight nights. Every night you light a candle on the menorah, which is a- I mean, I hope people know what it is, but it has eight spots and then in the middle there is one center spot for the candle that you use every night. And then after that- you don’t have to do this, but it’s sort of a tradition- you give presents, and you do that every night for eight nights.”

Do you feel personally involved in religious activities, or do you do it primarily because of your parents involvement?
“I belong to a temple in Westborough. I attend their school and I learn about Judaism and Hebrew and the Torah and then I also teach on Sundays. I’ve been there since kindergarten, so it’s like a second school for me.”

How have members of the Algonquin community responded to the religion you practice, if at all? Positively? Negatively?
“I don’t feel like I’m negatively shamed or anything, but I also don’t feel there’s a big presence of Judaism, and a big, like ‘Yeah! Go Judaism!’ But people are like ‘Yeah, Avery! Go Jew! That’s great!’ and I’m like ‘Yeah! That’s me!'”

Is there anything you wish Algonquin as a community might do differently to show more religious acceptance and inclusion during the holiday season?
“Honestly, not that much, because I really like Christmas so I’m all for everything that they do. I know that there’s a Christmas tree up, and yeah, it would be cool if they had a menorah, and Kwanzaa candles, and for people to be more informed.”

What would you say is the best thing about your religion and corresponding holidays? The worst?
“I don’t mean to sound cheesy, but it’s being with your family and being able to celebrate the same tradition over and over again. And the worst? I don’t know if there is a worst. After we make latkes, the whole house smells like potatoes and frying oil, which is not a bad smell, but you know.”

What do you think of Algonquin’s annual holiday decorations and celebrations?
“Whether it’s Christmas or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever holiday you celebrate, I think that they’re all bringing happiness and joy, and I think that’s great.”

$1501
$2000