Tontodonato: teacher to admin

The Algonquin community experienced a drastic change on Monday, Oct. 21, as former Applied Arts and Technology department head Michelle Tontodonato temporarily replaced assistant principal Mel Laughton as an  interim assistant principal.

“I was very excited, because this doesn’t happen that often… I had some great sadness, I had already formed relationships with a couple of my classes, especially Business Research because I have known a lot of them for two, three and four years,” Tontodonato said.

Tontodonato took over the role of assistant principal due to unforeseen circumstances that Laughton is currently experiencing. She became the first new assistant principal at Algonquin since Paul DiDomenico was hired in 2005. Tontodonato’s colleagues say nothing but good things about her.

“[Being an Assistant Principal] is a different style.  Communication is very important, and she’s very good at it. She’s following most of the same rules.  She feels that because she’s new she has to get a feel of the students more, whereas Mr. Laughton already has a feel of all of the students.  So maybe her approach is slightly different due to that but in general the same things are being done,” upper school office secretary Charlotte Brillhart said.

Because she had to leave her classes, new teachers have in turn been selected to teach these vacated classes.  Mary Beth Pappas has replaced her as Applied Arts and Technology department head, and Patricia Riley has taken over the Business Research class. Riley had also previously been a co-leader of the DECA program along with Tontodonato, but has taken a larger role in the organization since Tontodonato stepped up as administrator.

There may be three assistant principals if Laughton comes back at the end of this year.  Since Algonquin’s student body  has  grown to 1500 students, three assistant principals are crucial in accomplishing everything that needs to be done.

“We love working with her.  She’s very proactive, a great communicator, she’s very fair, and she’s very on top of things.  It’s been great so far,” Brillhart said.

“I just look forward to continuing learning and enjoying the job and being a part of the administration team. I am enjoying meeting students I didn’t know already and talking to them,” Tontodonato said.

Students expressed their emotions of sadness in losing Tontodonato as a teacher, but are excited to see her in her new job.

“I was honestly confused on whether to be happy for her or be sad that we were no longer going to have our beloved teacher. I’ve come to appreciate the move because I know she would want the best for us, so we all are glad she had the opportunity,” senior Brad McGill said.

“I was disappointed because I really enjoyed working with her every day but I knew she deserved the promotion and would make a great principal,” senior Matt Powell said.