$1501
$2000

Appreciate artists who didn’t win at the 2024 Grammys

Staff+Writer+Nora+Kurtz+writes+that+artists+that+werent+recognized+with+awards+at+the+Grammys+should+still+be+appreciated+for+their+contributions+to+music+and+pop+culture.+
Sophia Wang
Staff Writer Nora Kurtz writes that artists that weren’t recognized with awards at the Grammys should still be appreciated for their contributions to music and pop culture.

This year’s Grammy Awards held on Feb. 4 once again stirred up both excitement and controversy in the music industry and on social media. While the Grammys hold significant prestige, discussions about the winners often ensue, leaving many talented artists unrecognized despite their undeniable talents and abilities. 

Lana Del Rey is an artist who has been controversial since the beginning of her musical career. From being accused of  “glamorising abuse” in her songs to buying her 2020 Grammys dress at the mall, Del Rey never seems to catch a break. Despite this, her unique style and themes of love and heartbreak in her songs resonate with many listeners, showcased through her soft and expressive voice. It’s even rumored that Taylor Swift drew inspiration from Del Rey’s music for her upcoming album, “The Tortured Poets Department.” While Del Rey’s nominations at the Grammys this year, including Album of the Year, did not result in wins, her distinct qualities undoubtedly contribute to her impact on today’s music. 

The Luke Combs rendition of “Fast Car” has reached a vast audience, and brought new life to Tracy Chapman’s 1988 original. However, many overlook the profound meaning behind the song. Beyond its status as a catchy country tune, the original song by Tracy Chapman delves into the emotional feelings of a young woman striving to escape for a better life. Despite Combs not sharing Chapman’s personal experiences, the touching message of the original remains just as relevant today. Combs’s smooth vocals and upbeat country melody add a layer of depth, offering listeners a blend of relaxation and empathy for those who relate to the song. Chris Stapleton won Best Country Solo Performance for his song “White Horse” which is mainly about a man telling a woman that he needs more time to truly let his heart free. This song likely won for its gritty tone and rock guitar solos while still upholding Stapleton’s typical country style. Although his song appealed to die-hard country fans, Luke Combs’s track achieved widespread success amongst diverse audiences, making Combs’s work more deserving of the award. 

Many of folk-pop artist Noah Kahan’s songs, such as “Stick Season” and “Dial Drunk,” have gone viral on social media. These tracks not only showcase his vocal talents, but also his skill in delving into the deeper emotions of loneliness and melancholy. Despite having released his first song back in 2017 and his debut album in 2019, the Vermont native’s recent success has gained well-deserved praise and recognition over the past year. His ability of crafting honest lyrics and soothing instrumentals resonates deeply with listeners, earning him a nomination for Best New Artist, an award he clearly deserved. 

Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album “SOUR” brought her into the spotlight, captivating audiences with its raw emotions and striking relatability to today’s teenagers. Her follow up album, “GUTS,” quickly gained popularity. Demand for her upcoming tour soared, prompting additional dates to be added to accommodate her devoted fanbase. Rodrigo was nominated for 6 Grammys this year, which include Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Rock Song. Serving as the lead single for “GUTS,” “vampire” has extremely strong vocals and haunting melodies. Rumored to be about feeling “angry and spiteful” in a relationship, the vocals truly depict the feeling of being trapped in a detrimental cycle. Rodrigo unfortunately won zero Grammys this year, but based off “vampire,” she was definitely a strong candidate for Song of the Year. 

The 2024 Grammy Awards spotlighted a wide variety of talents, from Del Rey’s unique style to Combs’s soulful rendition of a classic and Kahan’s rising popularity, all the way to Rodrigo’s captivating storytelling. While it is essential to celebrate the much-deserved winners of the Grammys, it is also important to recognize the accomplishments of other artists who did not rise to the top.