All schools deserve a flex block, for the better of the people

Juliana Mazur

According to Recruitment Manager Lila Shields, a flex period would increase student productivity and decrease stress levels.

Lila Shields, Recruitment Manager

Students’ academic rigor and extracurricular activities increase as they go through high school, leaving youth burnt out and unmotivated. A flex block built into the school day is essential to assure students get time to relax and get work done. 

Flex blocks give students the opportunity to touch base with friends, receive extra help from teachers and work on homework. A flex block is a break period throughout the day that is built into all students’ schedules. A US News study shows 56% of students have noticed an increase in anxiety level following the COVID-19 pandemic, with 44% expressing that they often feel sad or hopeless. Exterior factors can play a role in this spiral yet school is observed to be a major stressor for 83% of students according to Harvard Summer School

Implementing a flex period would alleviate tension for students and set aside time for students during the school day. This gives both students and teachers time to catch up with work and prioritizes well being. Mindfulness and further anxiety relievers can be implemented with a flex block to assure all students are caught up and ready to learn.

In school, additional time for work supplies students with materials which may not be accessible at home. Teach for America provides numbers on how severe the wealth gap is and the impacts it has on learning. Fifteen million children in the US are unable to afford school supplies which impacts equity of academic success. Working at school would provide students with shared supplies they need to get work done and give them a space to do so.

Transportation also takes a toll on group projects, especially for students without a driver’s license. In-school time to contribute to projects will enhance collaboration and connect students due to availability.

Yale News conducted a survey which emphasizes how nearly 75% of students have negative feelings towards school. Giving students a break during the school day could reduce this stress as it breaks up the day – giving students the opportunity to reset and connect with teachers. 

An elective study period is certainly beneficial, yet it fits into students schedules differently which can have an impact on connecting with teachers during this block. A flex period gives all parties involved a time to meet, leading to less conflict regarding extracurricular activities after school. A flex block enhances knowledge by giving students the time to reflect and process what they learned.

No matter the student, all have difficult, time-consuming classes. A flex block illustrates how students’ mental health is taken into account by the school district and their well being is prioritized.