CJ Bourbeau

Senior Jack Gamache is going to Western New England University for baseball.

Jack Gamache, baseball

Senior Jack Gamache has committed to Western New England to pursue a major in secondary education after being recruited to play outfield on the baseball team. 

When did you first start playing baseball?

“I started playing T-ball and Little League [when] I was 5 or 6 years old. I’ve always played, whether it’s school, town or club baseball.”

What is your favorite thing about baseball?

“I love spring time. Being out in the warm weather…It’s different than playing basketball inside or an indoor sport. You get to be out in the fresh air. Baseball is a very hard game; you fail a lot more than succeed, so it teaches you how to be resilient.”

What position do you play and what do you most enjoy about playing that position?

“[I play] outfield. I enjoy it because not a lot of kids like to do it, but instead [they] play infield. A lot of people think it’s rather easy, but there’s a lot of skill that goes into it. As you get older, guys hit the ball a lot harder, faster and farther. It becomes more of a skill you need.”

Why did you want to play baseball at the collegiate level?

“Playing sports has always been a good way to wind down after school. I need to stay active and the best decision for me is to keep playing in college so that way I can continue having that activity to do.”

What about this college enticed you to play for them?

“I went and visited [the college] and talked to a lot of players on the team. The big thing for me that is important [is how] the guys on the team are on the same page and enjoy the place they are at. After talking to them, I got a better understanding of what kind of program they have. By talking to the coach, [I was able to] understand his philosophies, and that’s important especially when you spend four years somewhere.”

What are you most looking forward to in these next four years of your life?

“I’m looking forward to every spring and competing every day, especially in college. In high school, we only play in the spring, but my whole year will be about baseball which will be exciting as I can focus my energy onto one thing.”

Do you have hopes to play baseball beyond the collegiate level?

“Most likely not. Maybe some softball leagues, but outside of that, no.”

Do you have any ideas of majors or other focusses you’d like to pursue at Western New England?

“I’m going for secondary education. I definitely want to be a teacher…I want to be a coach when I get older.”

Do you have anything that you think is important to include about your relationship with baseball or your commitment?

“Baseball is a place where I feel comfortable. I feel like I can do my own thing and be myself…It’s a good comfort place.”

$1501
$2000