Ellie O'Connor

Jake Pryor, lacrosse

Senior Jake Pryor is committed to Malone University in Canton, Ohio to play Division II lacrosse as a midfielder after being recruited by the university last summer. He sat down with the Harbinger to discuss the recruitment process and his plans for the future.

When did you first start playing lacrosse?

“Sophomore year of high school was my first year.”

What is your favorite thing about lacrosse?

“The relationships you create over seasons of playing. It’s just a tight space where you can really be comfortable doing whatever you want.”

What position do you play and what do you most enjoy about playing that position?

“[As a midfielder,] I kind of see both sides of the field, so the job of a midfielder is to sort of coordinate offense as well as be a part of coordinating defense.”

Why did you want to play lacrosse at the collegiate level?

“Lacrosse is kind of what drives me to do good in school because other than that I really would have no motivation. It’s a reason to keep working hard.”

What about this college enticed you to play for them?

“From the get-go [the Malone University lacrosse coach] was very personable, and he would check in on you throughout the whole recruiting process, even before I committed and still now. He would give you calls randomly, text you, wish you Merry Christmas. You can see that he cares, so that’s kind of why I chose this college over others. I know he’s going to be checking in on me and making sure I’m held accountable for my actions, but also keeping me on the right path.”

What are you most looking forward to in these next four years of your life?

“In terms of me personally, seeing how I can grow as a person away from home and being responsible… [and] building a relationship with the guys the next couple of years while also seeing how I can improve my arsenal of skills at the collegiate level.”

Do you have hopes to play lacrosse beyond the collegiate level?

“I mean yeah, [playing lacrosse beyond the college level] definitely is a dream that I say most of the guys going to the collegiate level work for. The professional lacrosse league is definitely a dream of mine, to be able to play there one day.”

Do you have any ideas of majors or other focuses you’d like to pursue at Malone? 

“As of this year, I think I am going to go into some sort of nursing field because I’m intrigued in anatomy [class] right now.”

Do you have anything that you think is important to include about your relationship with lacrosse or your commitment?

“Being able to be coachable is a huge part of shaping yourself as an athlete and just as a person because if you are not able to be coachable, the coach doesn’t want to work with you and you’re never going to see a different perspective. You have to be able to understand that your coach is only giving you constructive criticism to make you a better person and player.”

$1501
$2000