Kate Michel

Unified Art Exploration (CP and Honors)

Unified Art Exploration, taught by Danielle DeCiero, will be offered at the Honors and CP level starting in the 2023-2024 school year.

Please note: this interview was conducted via email.

Please describe the new course you will be teaching, including main objectives, projects or focuses. 

“Unified Art Explorations is a new inclusionary visual arts course designed to create a cooperative studio space to learn and explore various artistic mediums. The objective is to create projects and activities that meet the individual goals of each student. We will be able to cater the types of art mediums to the needs of the students in the room. Together we will use clay, try printmaking, create using unusual materials, draw, paint, learn about color and explore themes such as identity, nature or historical artists all in a way that is customized more to the needs of each student. Peers who elect to take this course will be able to support that work and also learn a lot in the process.”

Why do you think this course is beneficial to have offered at Algonquin?

“This course was designed to create an engaging way for students of all abilities to access visual art that meets their specific needs, while also allowing for a stronger focus on building cooperative relationships with peers during the school day. It has been an idea we have had for a number of years. This fall, I had a student in my ceramics class who really did not enjoy working with clay. However, it was one of the only electives available to him for the semester. We worked to adjust and modify what we could, but this experience was what prompted me to really begin to take this course to the next phase and get it developed. We want to provide enjoyable art opportunities for all kids here, and this will allow for that much more authentically.”

Why do you encourage/suggest students take this course?

Algonquin is already participating in many types of Unified activities after school. This course will be a way to continue building those relationships with peers, while also creating stronger inclusive practices during the school day. Many [students] already enjoy working with peers in this type of collaborative way. We are so excited to see some of you in this class, and already I am meeting so many students that I have not had the opportunity to meet before.”

What are you most looking forward to about teaching this course? 

“Everything! Every day I get a bit more excited and energized about ideas and visions I have for projects, activities, ways to build relationships. During course shopping, I feel like the goal was to get students excited about taking the classes we offered. So many students came already excited about this new elective that day, and I feel like it gave me a new sense of energy about how amazing this class will be!”

$1340
$1500