Math Teacher Patrick Galvin

Do you feel it is beneficial or necessary for Algonquin to have a new athletic complex? Why or why not?

“I think that it is definitely beneficial for our student athletes to be able to have this complex. I think that it’s beneficial for the community, who I believe will be able to access it as well. It’s definitely necessary in regards to ADA compliance; I do think that it is something that we should consider. I think that looking at the cost of it, it’s a lot of money. Asking community members for that money is a lot in a time when maybe there are other things that are also necessary.” 

What concerns do you have regarding Gonkplex?

“The cost in that regard doesn’t impact me [because I don’t live  in the community], just when you ask a community for a bulk of money for something like that it might be hard for them to provide financial support to other programs. That would be a tremendous program for the athletic community and our community that might use  the field and facilities. Are there other programs within our building that also need funding? Arts, music…Because it’s outside I don’t know how much of an impact it will have on everyday teaching and learning. It could potentially impact graduation, depending on when they start the building, and it could certainly impact fall sports of next year.” 

What are you most excited about regarding the potential new athletic complex?

“The new track sounds nice to walk around! I think that it would be built as a state of the art facility that would be a tremendous addition to our fantastic school system. Certainly, it would benefit our athletes, in all sports, fall and spring specifically…There are [currently] certainly areas out there that are problematic in terms of hosting certain events. I think when you have the capability of our larger stands, with ADA compliance, you can host statewide events.”

$1501
$2000